Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my block and crank back from the machine shop and have a few question.

1. I will be using the a6 oil pan and pick up. The a6 spun a bearing and had flakes in the pick up tube. Is there a trick to get them out of there or buy a new one? Also should I worry about flakes stuck in the baffle of the pan?

2. Is there a certain orientation for the piston rings during install?

3. Dipstick? Stick with the a6?

4. How do you do initial break in on a rebuild zc. I've done Honda motors before but I'm a little scared since I'm reusing a few parts that were in a motor that had spun bearings.

Thanks guys I can't wait to finally have this done

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well as far as ring order I believe it is:
1.First Ring
2.Second Ring
3.Then 1 Oil control ring
4.Oil Ring expander
5.1Oil control ring

Then an important thing to keep in mind is that you need to spread the rings in the gaps in a certain order around the piston (I think), you dont want any gaps touching each other, Heres a picture I pulled off of google. I honestly don't know about the a6 dip stick though, I guess i would start off comparing them side by side and checking features. I may be wrong, but with break in I don't think there is anything special, Lower rpms and just alow every part to get worked in, rule of thumb I would say 500 miles is plenty for break in.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks thats the picture I was looking for. Couldn't find it again. I should have been more clear, I was asking about piston ring gaps.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
986 Posts
:bowdown: Need pix of the wagon asap !!!! :fingersx:
:hyper: :)

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
986 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I got all that done. Going to put the pistons in tonight. My ring compressor broke because it was old so I need to get a new one.

Any advice on the oil pick up? Probably will just get a new one buts its $100 the cheapest I can find

·
Registered
1998 Hatchback
312 Posts
1. I will be using the a6 oil pan and pick up. The a6 spun a bearing and had flakes in the pick up tube. Is there a trick to get them out of there or buy a new one? Also should I worry about flakes stuck in the baffle of the pan?
if you ask me buy a new one

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a discontinued oem part which sucks. Sealed power makes one for about $130. I found a Honda dealership called sons Honda and ordered it online there. They said they had one in stock I'm hoping it is the correct one because it was only $55

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Use an a6 pan and pickup. Look on the for sale forum in here and I'm sure someone is selling a pan and pickup.

EDIT: You can use b2/b7 pan as well but get the pickup tube to match it

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
RT4WD and non-RT4WD pans don't mix. The oil pan gets into the kick-out for the rear drive-shaft.

Ask me how I know.

Also, only blocks with the holes for the jack-shaft can be used:

That leaves you with A6, Z6, and ZC.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
43 Posts
This looks sexy!! I'm currently talking to someone that has a ZC DOHC without the cams. Not what I really want, but figured why not pick it up, if its all clean looking and comes withe everything else intact for a good price.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts