Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Finally, the project begins. I've had the majority of these parts sitting around waiting to be installed for quite a while; I've just never had the initial drive to get started on the project and tear apart a completely working engine. Well as luck would have it, my car stopped running. Did a ton of troubleshooting and found that i had no compression and was leaking out of all sets of exhaust valves and one set of intake valves. When i pulled the head i realized that the valves were not sealing properly due to excess carbon buildup. How was this possible? The head was rebuilt to OEM spec myself and was even acid washed and since has only seen 25K. Well I found the culprit: all of my valve seals had popped off the valve guides. This was at my own fault however, as I realized I had not properly installed them 100% of the way onto the valve guides.
So the same week I pulled the head off, I found a performance head shop in the town 20 minutes from me, and who also just happen to be having a group buy sale going on. Imagine that! So the head is away at their shop getting their stage 4 full race port and polish job. Everything is being worked over. For that project, please see my weekend race head project page I'll be starting.

So on with this project. I'm hoping to remember to include a lot of pictures as I'm planning on only taking this block apart ONCE.
So let’s start with the work area. My very own small 1 car garage. Not much, but it's more than I'm used to having!

The whole reason for this project:
Vitara 75mm pistons/hasting rings
D16 FJT custom length IBeam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
OEM Honda gaskets and seals EVERYWHERE

And some of the tools

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

So as I mentioned before, the head was already taken off and sent to the shop. So here's a pic of the hoist strapped onto the motor. Used the tranny torque mount, and the alt bracket.

Almost out!

There she is. With the y8 tranny I hand built to OEM spec.

And there's the empty bay. W00T

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I missed a few pictures inbetween this part too but I got the block on the engine stand and started tearing it down. You get the idea.
Here it is with the girdle just pulled off.

Bearings still in the girdle

Piston, crank and bearing close ups.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The bare block

Here is some of the destruction from before lol. Parts parts everywhere

So that’s where it sits right now. The next updates for this will be:
But some new dremel tools and
Notch the block and girdle
Port the oil pump
Gasket match and port the stock Y8 intake Manifold

Thanks for viewing!

-Luke

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
nice man :TU:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm gonna go through my haynes book and helms manual to double check how to measure the cylinders and make sure they aren't out-of-round etc.

-Luke

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Nice work man good parts you gonna go over size vitaras or stick with 75mm

I stuck 75 and have .012 p2w LOL Can wiggle the piston by hand in the bore lmao

It's really not crazy hard at all clock the rings according to endyne spec

I would recomend a piston ri g end gap of .018 on the top ring and .019 on the 2nd then just anything above .015 is fine for the oil rails

I figured it out using the formula from laskey racing

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a few small updates.
Ported the oil pump. pretty happy with the results, it's the first porting i've done on anything.
BTW, the 32mm socket for your axle nut, combined with a rubber mallet makes for an EXCELLENT seal extraction on the oil pump

This is the only one i'm not too happy with. it's such a tough angle to get in there.

Hard to see in this picture but i even radiused the oil filter area, just a very small amount but enough to take the sharp edge off.

I'm trying to find some carbide dremel tools to use for the block and girdle notching. Something that will actually work a bit faster than the stone grinding dremel bits.

BTW, has anyone deburred the tops of vitara's before.

-Luke

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Nice work on the oil I just put my vitaras in didn't mess with them but plan to just smooth them out for the next build

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
To smooth out the tops of the Vitaras you might wanna look into media blasting. I had my machinist file out the valve reliefs and blast the tops of my SRPs. Very good decision I think.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 448 Posts