Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just my got fresh rebuilt motor back and as some of you know it has the skunk2 cam in it. It has alot of lift and little duration. Lift is comparable of a crower stg3. Anyways, after only 70 miles, the overhead (valvelash) needs to be adjusted again. Reason i say this is because it ticks like no other.

My engine builder said that the reason for this has to do with the design of the cam. The cam came all black and the lobes were not polished at all. he said that he has never seen cam like that, and the reason it needs lashed again already is because the black outer coating of the cam is wearing of already which is causing "loose" lash on the valves.

Can anyone concur with this. He is coming over tonight to lash the valves for me again.......hopefully it stays like this and i wont have to do it again.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds about right.....
k, good deal. i just wanted to make sure that it is the actual problem as why the valves went out of whack so quickly. It ran great at startup, just wuickly went to crap.

thanks for the fast response.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just my got fresh rebuilt motor back and as some of you know it has the skunk2 cam in it. It has alot of lift and little duration. Lift is comparable of a crower stg3. Anyways, after only 70 miles, the overhead (valvelash) needs to be adjusted again. Reason i say this is because it ticks like no other.

My engine builder said that the reason for this has to do with the design of the cam. The cam came all black and the lobes were not polished at all. he said that he has never seen cam like that, and the reason it needs lashed again already is because the black outer coating of the cam is wearing of already which is causing "loose" lash on the valves.

Can anyone concur with this. He is coming over tonight to lash the valves for me again.......hopefully it stays like this and i wont have to do it again.
First off. Loose valves dont make noise, uneven ones do, and it can be common for lashes to change a bit when a new valvetrain is breaking in. Let it break in and set the lash again and you should be fine. Also if he is coming over tonight, make sure the car has been sitting and cooling for along time before. Infact remove the valve cover and leave the hood up to let them cool more before he comes. Idealy you want to let it sit overnight.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Wait... Your builder said that the lobes are black and that could be an issue??? WOW!!!! I use to grind cams years ago. The reason for the lobes being black is because of a heat treating process called "Parkerizing" The cam is dunked into a huge tub of almost boiling liquid for about 20 minutes. It keeps it from rusting on the shelf and heat treats it as well. The ONLY part that should be polished are the bearings.. This is also a way to be able to determine if you have purchased a new cam or a used one. A used cam wont be black on the lobes. Your builder must not be up on his cam education.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Wait... Your builder said that the lobes are black and that could be an issue??? WOW!!!! I use to grind cams years ago. The reason for the lobes being black is because of a heat treating process called "Parkerizing" The cam is dunked into a huge tub of almost boiling liquid for about 20 minutes. It keeps it from rusting on the shelf and heat treats it as well. The ONLY part that should be polished are the bearings.. This is also a way to be able to determine if you have purchased a new cam or a used one. A used cam wont be black on the lobes. Your builder must not be up on his cam education.
i sold him the cam and i got it from someone on the board. when i got the cam the whole thing was flat black. so that could be bad.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, this is his first honda.......not that has to do with anything. But, i understand what you are saying about the black coating. I also have never seen a cam like this before. my buddy just got a cam from comp for his camaro and it is all nice and shiny.......i was just assuming that it is polished, but that may not be.

my engine builder is good, i have no doubts in his ability to diagnose a cam problem. i probably misunderstood the info he gave.......i think im the one that needs to get up to par on cam ed.

thanks for the info though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts