Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've finally decided on what i'm doing. Its gonna be an NA build, but might get a little spray down the road. Going to run on pump gas and be my DD which gets a lot of miles on it. Here's my list of parts for sure so far:

A6 bottom end
Z6 head
Edlebrock IM
AEM CAI
DC Sports header
Chipped P28 from phearable
Cam, springs & retainers (brand still open)
ARP rod bolts and head studs

Ok, so for the cam I'm strongly looking to get the Akmee type S cam and valvetrain kit if i can EVER get in touch with them, for the $$$. If not i'll probably go with Bisi stage 2.

Question time. Should stock rods hold up as long as i have ARP bolts in them, or should i go aftermarket? It'll probably turn 7500 or 7600, maybe a bit more b/c Akmee's power didn't fall off with their cam

Q#2: Where should i set my vtec engagement.

I realize i'm only running about a 10:1 CR, but i figure this will be fine b/c i don't want to jump up to 12:1 with p29's b/c it's a DD and will probably see spray later. Thanks guys.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
if your going to spray down the road throw in some pm3 pistons since there kind of a flat top piston ( nitrous likes that lol ). as for the cam looking into zex or exospeed. for valve train get ss valves look into ls rods with arp rod bolts. either way with this your fine for pump gas

it also depends what your power goal is and how much nitrous your looking to spray later. if your only looking to do around 200hp your cool with you rods or either get them shot peened with arp bolts. as for nitrous always go wet.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well on motor i'm looking for around 140whp and later probably only a 50 shot, maaaaaaaaybe a 75, but probably not especially if i stay with stock rods. I've seen exospeed, Akmee just offers a great price and pretty good results. And bisi is...Bisi, all there is to it.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
exopeed is a awesome choice coming from experience .

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
vtec point will be different from when u were stock, mated with cam and higher comp it will move the power band...

when i went high comp, i had to move the vtec down to 5k, now u have a cam, u may have to move it lower or higher...
the tuner should be able to determine where the crossover should be. you will 'feel' vtec if its not really set right... i tried this lol... move it higher it picks up like it had a tiny ass turbo on it. which was dumb tho cause u dont make any more hp on stock shit doing this.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
stock rods with arps will be perfect for your build.
Thats what i felt too, even with a small shot on it.

And SOHCpower, i figured i'd have to move it up, its currently stock. My problem with getting it tuned is that the closest dyno is a bit over 4 hours in any direction. So until i can get there, i'm going to order another chip from phearable for my p28.

**EDIT** I also wanted to ask about new bearings. I can get Sealed Power rods and mains through my work for a good price, also have Beck/Arnley. I'd rather run Honda ones, but i can imagine they are pricey from a dealer. Whats that site that has OE Honda parts, anyone?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
do you have a drag strip near by? thats a good place to make runs too for tuning as well. compare end times and 60ft times will help you tune as well. also use a wideband and datalog it to. if not go on a road that not many people use and do 3rd gear pulls on it.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly i don't have anything to tune with nor any experience doing it. I can tune it mechanically (fuel pressure, timing) but no kind of software tuning.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i talked to a buddy and once i get it built we're going to take it to a dyno up in central Arkansas. They do great jobs on imports and domestics (they did my friend's procharged camaro SS), shop's called Polk Performance.

Anyway, what about the bearings i post up there, anybody?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts