Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a final drive gear, or ring gear of a 92-95 si trany fit my 90 dx trany?
Does the drive gear on the output shaft have the same number of teeth?
I looked up the gearing and they are almost the same, but the final drive.
I have both trany's and to me this would cheaper than buying a hydro-cable kit. I also plan on installing a obx lsd diff. Any knowledge whould help.
Thanks

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
you would need a 4.25 ring gear (any 88-2000) will work, but must use a 88-91 4.25 countershaft.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have a 4.25 ring gear and counter shaft available if anyone needs one. I;m not sure if you can just swap the ring gear with out the countershaft change.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'll just tear them apart and count the teeth on the countershaft and I'll let you know what I find.
no need to do that, I (or transzex) can already tell you the tooth count of any d-series gear without even seeing it :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no need to do that, I (or transzex) can already tell you the tooth count of any d-series gear without even seeing it :)
ok, so tell me
How many on teeth on both gears of a 4.250 final drive and
how many on a 3.888 final drive?

·
Registered
949 Posts
68/16 = 4.25
70/18 = 3.888

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I seriously doubt they will 'mesh'. Honda uses different angles and size of teeth as well. just out of curiosity, I tried shoving a 4.25 countershaft into the tranny with a 4.4375 ring gear in there, and it wouldn't even go in. Also, the 4.4375 and 4.25 countershafts are both 16 teeth. Its just different angles that cause it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see.........
I did my math backwards anyway, if you canged just the ring gear it would be
68/18=3.777
so it wouldn't be better at all.
Thanks again, I just have to find whats cheaper a final drive set or a convertion
kit for the cable to hydro.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
thats easy to answer, no one makes a conversion kit :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thank you!
So if I the 4.25 meshes with the counter shaft of my dx I get 4.375, right?
70/16= 4.375
Wouldn't this be better?

I have test fit this with a 69 tooth dx ring gear of 4.058 to yield a 4.3125. They seem to mesh and fit, but I am not about to try it. 4.375 is 2.9% shorter than 4.25

You guys are welcome to try it, I don't reccomend it, nor do I think that it will be worth it. I am hoping that the 4.53 mfactory final drives will go on sale sometime, maybe you guys can haggle with him :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's just the hydro-cable actuator, not the mounts for the trans.
Man, I completely forgot about the mounts! So then I would need a b series to ef mount kit, just for the trany mounts. Or I can make my own? hmmm.

Were can I look for a cheap final drive for my cable trany? how much is yours Eyal 951 and is it for the cable trany?

·
Registered
98 Lx sedan
301 Posts
I'm not sure on the mounts, I was going to do the same thing. Then I traded my brother my Dohc ZC Hydro LSD trans for his JRSC I've been borrowing. I'm sure you have to use the rear T bracket for the trans you're putting in. I just don't know if the mounts will line up in trans correctly. the cars I've seen with hydro trans have all been B-series with complete mount sets, not just one or two aftermarket and a factory. others have been "custom" homemade mounts. It only costs money to try it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts