Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime next year im going to be replacing all my syncro gears and do a rebuilt on my tranny... So I figured while it is all tore apart, I might look into purchasing a different final drive gear. What are my options? What are the potential gains? or should I just stick with the stock 4.25? The tranny is a S40. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
aftermarket final drives are a joke... i know people who broke them, and they are too expensive. i wouldnt want to buy a 600dollar part and have the chances of it breaking.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my civic is a track car(1/4) but I do drive it on the street a few times a week..... so you are saying I should keep my 4.25 in there?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the 4.437 is OEM.

hopefully that coupled with my little torque monster will put me into the 13s NA. thankfully the car the motor is going into weighs 2000lb :D

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
not dishing mfactory but i know someone who has broken one in his 10second d16.. he was pretty upset, and only sticks to oem final drives now... he also uses a mfactory lsd... mfactory has also told me that although they are alot stronger then the oem unit, they can still break.. so with that being said, i would stick to an oem unit, and learn how to launch well and you will do just fine... ive only broken one oem final drive in my car... the rest has been gears.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
not dishing mfactory but i know someone who has broken one in his 10second d16.. he was pretty upset, and only sticks to oem final drives now... he also uses a mfactory lsd... mfactory has also told me that although they are alot stronger then the oem unit, they can still break.. so with that being said, i would stick to an oem unit, and learn how to launch well and you will do just fine... ive only broken one oem final drive in my car... the rest has been gears.
Any gear can break, no matter who makes it. I've not had any customers break an MFactory FD, at least a 1/4 of the transmissions I build (customer supplied transmissions) have broken OEM FD's that get replaced with an MFactory, no problems from them.

myblkVTEC, what size and type of tires, rev limit, power, and top speeds needed (you're drag/street iirc so just need your top speed needed in 4th or your current trap speed)?

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any gear can break, no matter who makes it. I've not had any customers break an MFactory FD, at least a 1/4 of the transmissions I build (customer supplied transmissions) have broken OEM FD's that get replaced with an MFactory, no problems from them.

myblkVTEC, what size and type of tires, rev limit, power, and top speeds needed (you're drag/street iirc so just need your top speed needed in 4th or your current trap speed)?
tires is still in debate for me, the power will be around 350-400whp.... rev limit at 8500.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts