Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
No more Honda's :-(
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as some of you know i built my motor. it's all built with block posts, eagle rods, wiseco pistons stock head and gasket, arp head gasket, etc.

only problem i had putting the motor together was that one ring i could not file down enough. it was .001 out of spec.

i've been runing the motor at 10-12 psi tuned for a few months now (under 4k) and now it smokes. it smokes more at idle. some times more than others. and when it does smoke the longer i let it idle the worse it gets to a certain extent. when i'm driving it seems not to burn oil at all.

any idea's? seriously guys let's heard them and the reson behind your theary so that i can respond.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Improper break in? did you baby the motor too much I cant remember how you said you did it. The cylinder walls may be glazed.

·
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i broke it in pretty good till about 1100 miles. then i put in royal purple.

the oil pressure might be a little low but if it was why would it smoke? if i get a chance i'll check it tomorrow.

i'll do a compression test tomorrow as well. last time it showed thsat the rings seated just fine.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Mine is exaxt opposite.. I smoke badly now w/ high boost on my motor.. but idle is fine.. Im thinking of what bizzar said.. ?? More input someone.>??

·
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if your turbo and you smoke up topi would think that your yurbto is shot. mine smoke bad at idle.

·
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
exhaust, straight up smeels like burnt oil. but id break in was the cause wouln't it do it all the time? this happens just some times. and when it does it's really bad. if i can i'll take video this weekend of how bad it gets. i'm pretyty sure i know what it is now but i want some closeure.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
a buddy of mine had this problem at idle also . he drove a wrx but i would figure tis the same. his was the iacv. replaced it and it was fixed.
edit: im pretty sure thats what it was but i will ask him when isee him to make sure

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
my friend had this problem on his 240 with a ca18det, i think the problem was oil getting past the seal of the turbo at idle but didnt smoke while driving, but im not positive on that.

D

·
0 Posts
Alot of times when your valve seals are bad it will do as you described. I have seen problems with rings do it also, but idle is usually the best time for no smoke with this problem. I also never seen a ring problem that didn't have the otherside problem...blow by. If it is getting in the chamber under full vac, it is usually going the other way under full wot or boost.

Is it just smoking at iodle. or is it loading up somewere and when your rev it good it blows it out.

But in all seriousness (SP?) welcome to the built motor/turbo world. I do not know many that don't do this unless everything is really new.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
dohcvteccivic said:
But in all seriousness (SP?) welcome to the built motor/turbo world. I do not know many that don't do this unless everything is really new.
So thisis what I have to look forward to? I've heard of built engines burning a little more oil than a stock engine but I don't want my sh!t to smoke like a freight train going down the road.

O

·
0 Posts
FMYStreetRacer said:
ok as some of you know i built my motor. it's all built with block posts, eagle rods, wiseco pistons stock head and gasket, arp head gasket, etc.

only problem i had putting the motor together was that one ring i could not file down enough. it was .001 out of spec.

i've been runing the motor at 10-12 psi tuned for a few months now (under 4k) and now it smokes. it smokes more at idle. some times more than others. and when it does smoke the longer i let it idle the worse it gets to a certain extent. when i'm driving it seems not to burn oil at all.

any idea's? seriously guys let's heard them and the reson behind your theary so that i can respond.
you kinda answered your own question didn't ya there? There is no way around it, your going to have to tear into the motor, remove that piston and replace the rings. (and hope it didn't damage the cyclinder walls) You should have repalced those rings a long time ago and taked the extra coupel of days. Sorry man i know you didn't want to hear this, but unfortunitly there is no free lunches. please, this time take your tie and get it done right and don;t rush. this way you know it's dead on and going to last. Sorry to hear i tk though man.

D

·
0 Posts
mindless said:
So thisis what I have to look forward to? I've heard of built engines burning a little more oil than a stock engine but I don't want my sh!t to smoke like a freight train going down the road.
Mine smokes here and there but it is nothing like you described.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Are you sure its just not overly rich at idle? If it doesnt burn oil other than idle i say your engine is fine. Maybe the oil is coming from the turbo.

·
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ok guys here the update. i did a compression test today. here's the results from 1-4, 187, 183, 183, 195. so cpmression seems right for 8.5:1 right? seems like i broke the motor in correctly and the rings seated ok.

i looked at the turbo and there is definatly some shaft play compared to when i first got the turbo. there is some shaft play back and forth and front to back. i took a video of the shaft play. one is very big and the other a tad bit smaller but the quality isn't as good.

here's the small one
http://media.putfile.com/shaftplaysmall

here's the bigger one but only has about 10 d/l from the server.
http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MXHSFYUZ7783U1LFAPJJ5C0C

here's one with the motor running and reving it.
http://media.putfile.com/turborunning

so after i put the car back together i started it while it was just barly warm. no smoke. i let it warm up for a while and it was smokeing a little. rev it a few times and puffs of smoke come out but the smoke at idle still isn't as bad as it has been.

i drove it home and let it idle for a few min and barley any smoke. gave it a few revs and hello smoke! and it continued to smoke at idle.

here's a vid of the start up while still a bit cold.
http://media.putfile.com/firststartup

here's a video of me rving the motor at work after warm up.
http://media.putfile.com/revsmoke

here's the turbo after reving it at home. it wasn't smokeing too much at idle till i reved then it smoke stayed the same.
http://media.putfile.com/revturboathome

here's the after rev at home idle
http://media.putfile.com/afterrevidle

for those that don't have high speed internet here's a pic of the smoke.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts