Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the track has not been kind to the front brakes on my Fiesta ST (community calls it a FiST). After 15,000 miles, I have already been through 2 sets of OE pads and 1 set of Hawk DTC60.

The front brakes on the FiST just can't handle the amount of heat the rest of the car can generate. So, instead of spending the $500 or so to put OE components back on, I put that money plus a little extra toward a larger caliper and rotor. My goal here is not to increase braking torque, as the FiST already excels in this category, but I am after larger heat sinks to help keep the FiST braking repeatedly.

First, the carnage:

This was after 1 track day (four 20 minute sessions) on the newly installed Hawk DTC60 pads and new OE rotors!

After getting the car on the lift for disassembly, the amount of heat that was generated covered quite a few components (thanks to my work for access to a covered workspace, air tools, and a lift!):

The lower ball-joints in the LCA are not protected by the heat shield

Brackets weren't far enough away from the heat, either. Also, look at the shape of the backing plate on the piston side pad!

Rotors took a decent amount of heat, too:

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now to the fun stuff!

That's a big caliper for such a small car:

Parts waiting to go on:

OE vs Wilwood Rotors:

OE vs Wilwood Calipers:

I forgot to weigh the Wilwood calipers before they found their way on the car and got filled with fluid, but TCE said they weigh-in around 4 lbs 7 oz. That's a difference of 10 lbs per corner with everything added up!

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installation was very straight forward. Since Wilwood provides very detailed instructions there isn't much that I could add. However, due to the heat damage to the LCA ball-joint boots, I was inclined to find a way to make the OE heat shields fit to protect the ball-joint on the outer tie-rod end from a similar fate. In stock form, the shields curve toward and partially around the OE rotor. With the Wilwood rotors being larger in diameter, they would no longer fit. I did find that the shields could be swapped to the opposite knuckle and with a little trimming they bolted right back on:

Tie-rod end ball-joint still protected!

After everything was tight and the brakes bled, the wheel goes back on and get to stand back to admire the beauty!

I want to give a big thanks to Todd at TCE Performance Products for making this kit available. If you guys have any questions or braking needs, he is definitely one of the first you should ask!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Sub'd for upcoming vid of brakes in action, and review.

All the shiny newness under the front end will feel great in that little monster. A coworker has one, I eyeball molest it everyday.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a race car and trying to run that ducting is going to require cutting up more of a street car than I want to.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Wow. I got mine hot. But, not that hot. I'm still on the factory pads with 3 track days and 19k street miles. Any HP upgrades yet? Mine is still completely stock except for some 15" rims with 225 45 R6 hosiers

Isn't it fun running down the high hp cars with these little cars :fingersx:

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow. I got mine hot. But, not that hot. I'm still on the factory pads with 3 track days and 19k street miles. Any HP upgrades yet? Mine is still completely stock except for some 15" rims with 225 45 R6 hosiers

Isn't it fun running down the high hp cars with these little cars :fingersx:
No HP upgrades, yet.

Pretty much been driver/comfort mods up to the point of the brakes.

For sure on the chasing down higher HP cars. The Mid-America Ford and Shelby meet was at my home track a few months ago (where the first 2 pics were taken) and I was hanging with one of Ford's marketing guys that was driving the new GT350R around.

Hallett very much favors cars that can corner and while a FiST isn't going to be able to out corner a GT350R, the driver's familiarity with the track and willingness to throw it into a corner sure can.

My buddy has an ST with a few bolt ons, Ill be sure to send him this link, hes used to seeing my tail lights by now though. He also experiences fade with his stock brakes extremely fast
First things first, if he is feeling pedal fade, he should flush out the OE fluid. I don't know why, but the brake fluid Ford used in the FiST and FoST from the factory isn't as good as their old HD formula they had for the big trucks.

The OE high-performance pads on the FiST are actually really good. They can't take higher temperatures, but their cold and warm initial torque is very good.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
This is very interesting. I'm curious if the increased torque will make up for the reduced mass. I can see the OEM pad was crying for mercy, and the bending pad certainly didn't help with heat.

I would presume there's also going to be less heat transfer into the wheel/knuckle - good for bearings but bad if your rotors get too hot.

At least Ford circled the problem for you (right side) :p

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is very interesting. I'm curious if the increased torque will make up for the reduced mass. I can see the OEM pad was crying for mercy, and the bending pad certainly didn't help with heat.

I would presume there's also going to be less heat transfer into the wheel/knuckle - good for bearings but bad if your rotors get too hot.

At least Ford circled the problem for you (right side) :p
We'll see how it holds up. New tires this month and last track day of the year in October.

The OEM sized pad, deformed in the picture, was a Hawk DTC60. I couldn't run the OE pads long enough for them to generate that much heat. Funny enough, I never experienced pad fade with the DTC60, but during the last stint I certainly started getting a soft pedal. After taking everything apart, it was pretty apparent why. :willy_nilly:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I love how my Lexus came factory with front brake ducting. Even so though, I still want an RR Racing STG II brake pkg; VERY similar to your setup there.

Very nice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts