Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An idea I came up with today, I am VERY strapped for space in my Crx turbo build, and have a small area by the driver headlight I can fabricate a small box style catch can. But the angles are to intricate for me to fabricate with sheet metal, plus Im not great at accurately cutting or welding it :)

If I were to make this box out of chop mat and regular fiberglass resin, would it resist oil on its own, or would some engine enamel type paint protect it from the oil that will be collecting inside it? I planned on wrinkle painting the entire thing anyways after sanding.

Just would like to know if the materials are compatible for the application really. I am really good at fiberglass and could bang this out quite nicely, and being able to use fiberglass would make the brackets, lid and shaping very easy.

I am using a PVC catch can right now, which works fine, but is an eyesore as it doesnt suit the area its in at all. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would think it would be fine. Painting the inside wouldn't hurt anything, though. Make it easier to clean, as well.

We've got some fiberglass gear cases on our traction motors at work, and the lube inside is some nasty stuff. They don't appear to be painted at all, but they may have some type of coating inside.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I went ahead and attempted to start it, fiberglass takes a while to dry, but thats ok as I'll just chip away at it in my spare time this week.

After glassing it strong Im going to use kitty hair on the outside and lid to smooth the texture.

Adding the bracket might get tricky!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts