Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so wensday early morning my fiancés car was impounded. its a mutual car that her and our roommate split. I know bad idea I know try telling her that. but anyways my fiancé doesn't have her DL and never uses the car so we let the roomate drive the car to work or wherever she wants to go. well our roommate got off work and went to her friends house where she was drinking, she realized she was drunk so she had someone drive the car for her they get pulled over and apparently the person she had driving the car had a suspended license and has been areested multiple times for driving without a license, and has a felony warrant for not appearing in court over matter of driving on a suspended DL. The police never tried to contact my fiancé who is the registered owner of the car,they never tried to call us to let us know what was going on, they impounded it and put a 30 day hold on it. my fiancé never gave anyone other than our roommate to drive the car which she has a valid DL, the cops were gonna let her drive the car until the officer called the watch commander and he said if shes not the registered owner we have to impound it. and our roommate had no idea that the guy she let drive had a suspended DL. Is There anything we can do to get the car out. on the notice we got today it says" storage authority reason CVC 22651 (P). Also Everything on the car was legit everything was up to date. registration and smog is due on tuesdday

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cant afford a lawyer, would she be able to get a county appointed free attorney for a matter like this. by the time the 30 day hold is up it will cost 1500 to get the car out, they paid $2000 for the car 2 years ago. we just did a fucking tuneup and shit on it to get it ready for smog

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
if we end up having to wait the 30 days, were gonna make our roommate get a loan and we may just end up forfeiting that car and look at getting another used car.
Here the problem with that.

I am about sure she is not going to be legally responsesable for the impound fee. You might be able to talk to the DA and see what can they can do for you

I sent you a pm.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Section 22651 Circumstances Permitting Removal said:
V C Section 22651 Circumstances Permitting Removal (p) When the peace officer issues the driver of a vehicle a notice to appear for a violation of Section 12500, 14601, 14601.1, 14601.2, 14601.3, 14601.4, 14601.5, or 14604 and the vehicle is not impounded pursuant to Section 22655.5. A vehicle so removed from the highway or public land, or from private property after having been on a highway or public land, shall not be released to the registered owner or his or her agent, except upon presentation of the registered owner’s or his or her agent’s currently valid driver’s license to operate the vehicle and proof of current vehicle registration, to the impounding law enforcement agency, or upon order of a court.

You would be her agent.

EDIT: Who told you there was a 30 day hold?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
First hand californian info here:

Its the owners responsibility to make sure the driver has a license.

Driving on suspended is a criminal offense, mandatory arrest and booking.

Mandatory 30 day impound.

There's no refuting that info. Maybe a judge will side with you, but that won't happen before 30 days. Best bet is to sue the driver for the cost of impound for not saying the suspension was there, but its the persons responsibility as stated above, so that's a 50/50.

This shit pisses me off...
Someone goes drunk driving, and can get the car out same day.
Total BsS in that regard.

Grab a paddle... looks like it will be a pricey bill once 30 days is up :/

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the owner of the car (my fiance) wasnt around.or anything when.all this.happend. she lent the car to.her friend basically and her friend ended up letting someone.else drive. How can we control what someone else does kinda thing you know. law wont look at it like that. they paid 2k for.the car 2 years ago and its just about driven into the ground. By the end of 30 days we calculated 1500 to get it out. shit for 500 more they could get another decent car

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Well they let.us get the car out yesterday. total cost of $590.
could be worse.

I would be looking for some compensation from someone since they where the reason it got impounded

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
could be worse.

I would be looking for some compensation from someone since they where the reason it got impounded
We had to.borrow the.money to.get it out so the roomate is.on a payment plan and dude who was driving the car got out yesterday told us he would pay half. well see if that actually happens if not the.roomate (my fiances friend) is gonna have to pay it all off

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
At least the friend is gunna pay, or says so, could have ended a lot worse.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
I know this won't help the OP, but why the fuck can't drunk people call a taxi??? Nearly every bad story involving drinking is caused when the drunk gets a ride and it's NOT a taxi, like that girl who's friend left her to nearly freeze to death on her doorstep & required multiple amputations.

The way the law works, it looks like you're screwed - initially. The state has the laws on their side. However you do have the right to get payment from the roommate for the fees, meaning you can probably sue if they don't give it freely.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea shell pay it back. my fiance and her have been friends since they were kids and she has no choice but to pay it back cus we can kick her out. and she has no car. it is a mutual car between the 2 but the only name on the title is.my fiances so if push comes to shove shes fucked

1 - 19 of 19 Posts