Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi members.
My engine is a 1.3 and I am running out of ideas on how to make a lot of usable power.
Had a look at using two turbos but it does not look very efficient to me.
Or is there a way to use two turbos(one small one big) efficiently?
So now I am thinking of a CT12 SC with a turbo in the size region of a TD05.
Doing a engine swap is not an option to me :(
Power goal will be something like 230hp on pump fuel and 350hp full race engine breaking madness :D
I also thought to keep me in the 40mpg range I can just switch off the SC and enjoy the non boosted slow driving?
And will it be wise to install an extra small inter cooler between the SC and turbo?

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I have the SC14 and a He351ve on my d16 with a bit fabricating involved.

I was getting around 30mpg in city driving with over 400whp on tap.

And the ability to turn on or off the s/c and having a large enough turbo to only build under large loads works great daily driver manners. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are we talking about compound boost here? It's been done by Hellion turbo systems with supercharged 03-04 Cobras and the newer Gt500s. Brutal results ..almost 4 hp per cubic inch at the wheels.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,920 Posts
Twin charging a D almost implies that you're going to mount a supercharger on the Intake side and, of course, a turbo on the exhaust side. It will be difficult to squeeze a blower and a turbo on the exhaust side.

Be prepared for a ton of custom work to fabricate a new intake manifold that accepts the blower.

I'm not a fan of superchargers with clutches either. I realize that not everyone is like me an shares my ideas but I've always favored superchargers for their simplicity. An electric clutch is just another thing to worry about and fret over when it goes out. The SC supercharger is ancient and inefficient. I can't imagine parts are easy to come by.

A mild turbo is a much better idea IMO

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If the throttle body is BEFORE the roots-style S/C, there's nearly zero loss in MPG's. You have to realize the main drag is the rotors cutting through air. Your car will probably cuise at 15" Hg, so it's cutting through air HALF as dense as normal. It's also not making pressure since the bypass valve is open.

Roger McDaniels over on Honda-tech built one that was turbo-throttle-sc out of a gt30 and a JRSC. The blower was bypassed with a cutout opperated by a mixture of electronics and boost pressure (valve and boost actuator). He made 15% less power, but it was a beast at auto-x racing since boost was instant (overdriven to >15psi).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys :)
I do not have a HONDA engine :( and the engine should be good for 400hp on methanol.
Any setup that will be sufficient at the moment is an option to me.
And the SC12 chargers are cheep cheep this side. I am planing on running the SC on 0.4-0.6bar.
The setup should be done in such a way that the SC does not take the extra load of the turbo because the SC12 is weak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts