Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a d16y7 block with a y8 head. while doing my clutch a few days ago, my friend noticed i had "advanced timing" and told me to start using premium gasoline.

i've tried researching and i know why people advance their timing but what does the octane rating have to do with it?

also, how can i know for sure if my timing is advanced or not?

thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
a timing light. 3 marks on the y series pulley. 10-12-14. 10 being closest to TDC mark.

octane = knock resistance. for the most part, more timing usually makes motors more prone to knock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a timing light. 3 marks on the y series pulley. 10-12-14. 10 being closest to TDC mark.

octane = knock resistance. for the most part, more timing usually makes motors more prone to knock.
i'm honored to be ur 666'th post haha

but more octane = more resistance to knock?

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
i'm honored to be ur 666'th post haha

Yes, its harder to burn more octane. Say you advance the distributor, you now changed how you burn you fuel. It sends the spark out earlier. And to avoid pre detonation you run a higher octgane rating. And you feel a slight bump in hp due to more efficiency.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
yes, thats what he said.

advancing timing creates higher cylinder pressures and leads to more heat which makes more power but leads to possible detonation

so if you want more power, and can add or have added more timing, a higher octane fuel is recommended to keep detonation away and your motor healthy

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Yes, its harder to burn more octane. Say you advance the distributor, you now changed how you burn you fuel. It sends the spark out earlier. And to avoid pre detonation you run a higher octgane rating. And you feel a slight bump in hp due to more efficiency.

pre detonation? haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats just it i have no idea if it's advanced. i trust my buddy who works on honda's daily tho. i've been running 87 octane for about 2 months now. just switched to premium yesterday, the only difference i see now is my a/f meter reads more towards the rich side when i idle than it did before.

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
thats just it i have no idea if it's advanced. i trust my buddy who works on honda's daily tho. i've been running 87 octane for about 2 months now. just switched to premium yesterday, the only difference i see now is my a/f meter reads more towards the rich side when i idle than it did before.
You mean your nice little light show? Do you even have a wideband? It doesnt sound like your timing is advanced to me. Check the distributor, if its angled to the firewall then its advanced.

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
Some motors would not respond well to advanced timing aswell as some don't run for shit without it... you advance your timing the top of 3rd gear will feel like shit on a setup like that. Without modified cam timing. Its too much pressure the little d's hate it even with compression. So your timing being advanced made a small increase and possible overall performance. Logging EGT's can help with ignition tuning if your know what your doing but it doesn't sound like its a built motor so use 91 unless you notice excess carbon. No knock- no need for higher oct. Check your timing with a light

1 - 10 of 10 Posts