Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I needed some fresh street tires/rains for my CRX since my Z1 Star Specs were well heat cycled, but still had tread left (good thing I did, one of them had a knot in it when I pulled them!), and I'd been wanting to try out these Federal RS-R after having a few friends try them. I purchased a set of 195/50 15's from Onlinetires.com for about $330 shipped for all four, vastly cheaper than other performance street tires in the 140-200 UTQG category. These were nearly as wide as my 205 Z1's but have a more rounded shoulder, and of course were notably shorter when mounted on the same size wheel.

For regular driving, they've got good manners. Not a lot of road noise, good in the rain and seemed to ride as well as expected for a performance tire. Turn in is crisp, maybe a bit more vague than the old Z1's I had.

I've only really launched on them hard once on the street (yet to make it to the drag strip), but they seemed to hook very well at 30psi. They'll haze just a touch in 1st sometimes if I roll into the throttle and give a solid bark shifting quick into 2nd. I'm not making a ton of power, it's just a mild GSR build.

This weekend I got the chance to autocross on them, albeit not on my car. I took my friend's 94 1.8L Miata and ran GSR wheels with these tires on them in ES (yeah yeah I know, below the 180 UTQG for Street but they let me slide). They launched well the time I gave it the beans, clutch was spongy so I only did it once. Turn in on course was a bit vague, but that could be attributed to me going from a stiff CRX to a stock Miata. Grip levels were good, albeit not on par with other tires in its class today. I'd had the chance last season to try an NB Miata on Z2's and it stuck much harder. The Federal's breakaway was forgiving, easy to catch with a little oppo or throttle change but didn't exactly give much warning before they became overpowered at either end. They also liked low pressures for a car with stock camber, I ran 27 front and 29-30 rear.

All in all, they're a good tire, especially for the money. I'd say they're on par with the old Azenis RT615, maybe the current RT615K but much cheaper. Good straight line grip in both braking and acceleration. If you want ultimate grip, there's better options out there, but if you want a good bang for your buck over some regular street tire, these are the way I'd go again.

All things considered I'd give them a 8/10.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
was looking at these for some time now...im on nt01's currently, and need a rain tire, thinking these might just do it for me

·
Registered
Aztec Green EJ2
53 Posts

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I might get a set of these for my S2k next spring, hopefully that cracking was just a bad production run or something

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Ive had a pair on the front for my street car for a year, no complaints. Hook ok for street tires. Ride is decent as well.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Speaking of NT01.... makes me wonder how the NT05s would be... they make a 205/50/15 and they seem to review well? Just thought I would toss out another option...

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Speaking of NT01.... makes me wonder how the NT05s would be... they make a 205/50/15 and they seem to review well? Just thought I would toss out another option...
Interesting. For a long time, the NT05 was 17"+ only.

Nice to see a new size available.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Interesting. For a long time, the NT05 was 17"+ only.

Nice to see a new size available.
agreed. The price on them isn't bad either. I wonder how good they would be. My Neo Gens are gonna be done for after this next year. I will do a review on the NT05 once I get my hands on a set. :bigok:

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Figured I'd update since I got the chance to autocross on these a couple times on my car (which is a far bit further prepped than the Miata I ran them on).

First time was on my yellow CRX at the start of the season in the wet. They did excellent in standing water and damp pavement as the day dried up. You could tell the car had more power than tire, as it would push just a smidge on power. Response was ok considering they were mounted on 6.5" wide wheels at the time.

Last month, I got the opportunity to run them again mounted on some 15x8" wheels. These things are definitely wider than most street tires, and comparable to most 200 treadwear ST-class tires. They were more direct mounted on the wider wheels which eliminated some squirm. Lateral grip may be down just a hair since they've been on the car over a year for daily duty, but they still stuck well for the age.

I could tell now the car was lacking in front grip at the limit though. Right before it would start to really work and rotate it would push, but still very neutral on these tires. Forward bite is still good and the car launches very well, but I found myself chattering them on heavy braking. Even in 100* temps with two drivers on an undertired car (195 vs 225 usually), they held up and only got marginally greasy feeling at the end of the day.

Lastly is wear. They got some camber wear, more than my old Z1 Dunlops, but I attribute that to softer sidewall and compound than them. I flipped them when they went on the 15x8's a few months ago. Overall wear is about what you would expect for a 140 treadwear tire I suppose. Again, grip hasn't really dropped off significantly despite the street miles and Louisiana heat (and, uh, driving in the ice last winter on them lol...skeeeeeetchy). I ran them as rears last event paired with my new Rival S's (another review coming on that soon) and they did well to keep up with top of the line street rubber.

Looking back at the end of their life cycle, I would definitely (and will) buy them again. For the money it's about the best bang for the buck. They won't be super glue sticky like some of these new tires, but the cost/performance factor is hard to beat. If you're looking for a budget street tire that does a lot of things well, this is for you. Even as an autocross tire for a Street Touring car, I think you can be in spitting distance of the new breed of rubber.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I just got a set of the new Kuhmo V720 on my Fiesta. Looking forward to tracking and autoXing these!

Only been on the car for 50 miles, but I have noticed that these things are noisy (rolling, not turning)!

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a set of the new Kuhmo V720 on my Fiesta. Looking forward to tracking and autoXing these!

Only been on the car for 50 miles, but I have noticed that these things are noisy (rolling, not turning)!
I'm interested as well, the Kumho XS was supposed to be one of the fastest dry weather tires when it was new.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I bought Federal 595 EVo's for my DD

I suspect one has separation from factory, but pretty decent tire imho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts