Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Wednesday my wife picked up a pork loin on sale for me to smoke this past weekend. Thursday I rubbed it down with some hickory molasses rub, and about 20% cajun spice mix. She sat the fridge until Saturday.

I picked up a iGrill Mini. Took some time to get it to connect to my phone but it works great.
iGrill mini Features | iDevices Connected App

Sunday I cooked some brats from my local Beef Mart, for the family. Bacon Cheddar Jalapeno brats, and beer brats.

My dad asked me to smoke some salmon he is getting from a charter whose boat he just worked on. I just smoked some a few weeks ago but I forgot to take pictures. I will post them this time around.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Great smoke job there. Your meat looks moist and succulent.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dirty smoke, fire not hot enough :)

Have a loin to cook tonight....
I had to choke it off to get the temps down. Still tasted good no bitter smoke flavor.

I will be needed a new grill soon. It's either replace a bunch or rusted parts or buy new. So if you have recommendations let's hear them.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
I'm using a Chargriller Akron Kamado that I got on clearance and that my son assembled as part of his manager duties.

OK for the price, but I'll be looking for something better (real BGE?) when I wear it out.

I'm thinking about adding the temp control fan but I generally fail for not having enough fuel. Always still learning.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Only thing really bad about the Akron, unable to add more fuel after grates are in place, esp. when you forget to add the smoking wood to the coals after dropping in the lower grate (cheapo 18 or 22" grate) and pizza stone, then add water pan and top grate.

Oh well I was using Kingsford w/Mesquite and some chunk charcoal.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
I cook on a 2 burner gas grill. Does that make me less of a man?
Just lazy :)

I once used gas grills, thinking they were quicker, they are not.

Charcoal Chimney and Weber cubes changed me.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Tasty!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bone - I have had a Weber 18" WSM for 20+ years...cooked some of the best brisket ever on that thing. In CO I had a hard time getting enough heat in it, I was always adding another FULL chimney of hot fuel every 2 hours to keep the temp above 200 degrees. Sometimes it would take 16-18 hours to complete a brisket...it would stall and stay there ...and I would just get more hungry!

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Bone - I have had a Weber 18" WSM for 20+ years...cooked some of the best brisket ever on that thing. In CO I had a hard time getting enough heat in it, I was always adding another FULL chimney of hot fuel every 2 hours to keep the temp above 200 degrees. Sometimes it would take 16-18 hours to complete a brisket...it would stall and stay there ...and I would just get more hungry!
Altitude, messing with your AFR?

Just lazy :)

I once used gas grills, thinking they were quicker, they are not.

Charcoal Chimney and Weber cubes changed me.
I'll be honest... I use gas too. To start my chimney when I have propane, otherwise I use paper. I'm going to try them cubes though.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am tempted to make a counter flow smoker. Can't find the right tank, for the right price. Dirt cheap or free. Or maybe a section of pipe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts