Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the next year or so I’m planning a d16y8 build for my son as he will get his license in a couple of years and will inherit my work car (98 civic dx/d16y7). After researching the swap options I decided on swapping and building a y8. Pricing for B swaps seems to be a little high in my area and figured that building a motor would be more educational, and entertaining at the same time since this will be our first build for both of us. It also seems we would yield the same hp results with the build vs a simple swap. This build must stay smog legal, as we live in cali and we don’t need all the hasles. I don’t want to get this build to extreme for tuning, reliability, and smog reasons so if my ideas are a little off, suggestions are greatly appreaciated. I’ve been researching the build options so much that my wife is starting to get jealous of the computer.
Heres my ideas so far. Sleeve block so we can run 78mm pistons increasing displacement and shoot for a 10:1 c/r, keeping the same r/s ratio. Ive read that changing the r/s gets complicated (tuning) and that the r/s is already bad on these motors. Upgrade valetrain , timing gear and a port and polish. I also will decide on a turbo or supercharger later on down the road. That depends on my sons driving. Using the zeal autoworks calculator if I used it right 78mm stock style pistons will give me 10.3:1 c/r. It seems that this is still in the limits to turbo or sc it. Here's my list so far.

Arias pistons
Edlbroch intake
Eagle rods
Crower valvetrain
Camshaft?
Cam gear, AEM?
Exaust manifold? Already have greddy catback in garage.
Tuner?
Turbo/supercharger?
Injectors?
Fuel pump?
Arp bolts
Port and polish head

Here’s a few questions I have. Now I’m guessing this set up will still be smog legal? Will we have to run 91 octane? Is there anything else I might need? Or is there anything I don’t need? With this setup I’m think I’ll get around 150-160whp? With F.I. I should get over 200 pretty easy? Now I’m not sure what brands to get on some thing so suggestions because of price, performance or ease of application are appreciated.

*edit*
Thanks for the info everyone! well looking looking at F.I. there was only one choice that i could find that was smog legal (jrsc) for the y7, but i think it has been discontinued. Thats why i went with the y8 to rebuild, it has more F.I. options that are legal. As for the hp goal i think 160-170 whp all motor would be fine but with F.I. 300whp would be good. The F.I. option is based soley on his driving. I wont allow it if he cant be responsible. I just want to be able to add this later as an option. This would be a daily driver so it still needs to be streetable. The budget is'nt really a big problem since we will be building it through out the year. Couple parts here couple parts there. He doesnt get his license till early 2010. We only have 91 pump gas here, e85 about 45 minutes away and race fuel about 20 minutes away.

·
Registered
same as above
1,084 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but i believe if you go F.I. it has to be a C.A.R.B. legal system such as some of the Greddy turbo kits. I believe its for the eg though. As with everything else because you live in California you bolt on mods should have C.A.R.B stickers. Some smog places look the other way others will fail you. I have heard of places failing you even with a C.A.R.B. sticker but i have never looked into it deeply.

Edit: Your also gonna need a chipped ecu more than likely a P28 running whatever kind of program your tuner suggests. Maybe you should reconsider the C/R as well that to me seems a bit high for a F.I. Honda block.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
if you only want up to 200whp. skip the whole engne build and rebuild with stock. if over 200 is you goal you could get up to about 400whp on some race gas or if built right i have seen it on pump. use 93 if you have it by you. alot of people are starting to use e85 as it is equivilent to 110 octane gas. a good goal to shoot for with that set up is 300-350. BIGGEST THING TO MAKE SURE TO DO IS AFTERMARKET OILPUMP OR BORE AND SHIM THE STOCK ONE. D16Y8 are natorious for that problem. also switching to obd1 will make tuning it much easier.

we need more info...

what is your power goal
what is your budget
daily driver or track car or a dd w/ a track day here and there
some of that info is needed to tell you which parts you need and what arent needed

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
oh and if you need it carb legal..... thats a biggie. then i would say an edlebrock kit or greddy kit i believe that both are carb legal. im not sure on built motors but i dont think they would pass cali emmisions

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Welcome to D-Series pops:TU: I admire that you'll be teaching your Son a thing or two (if he doesn't already know how to tear a Motor Down).

I can't think of how to Rebuilt your y8 with Turbo and Remain Smog Legal. I'm sure someone will help out here.

Your Wife gets Jealous when you're on Computer Researching? LoL I can Relate to that:mrgreen:

Good Luck with your Project and if you have any pics of your Car and the Motor, Post them up.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
what about that air pump some people use to pump air thru the exhuast...that can help pass emmissions if you can hide it..sounds like you wanan go 100% legal though. So I cant help there.as far as HP goes. You dont need to sleeve it for all motor or turbo. Sleeving it to get 78mm and 10extra hp is plain wasting money IMO> Build it for turbo...VITARA pistons are $150 shipped for all 4 and rings/wrist pins and have proven to 500whp now. Or they have the high cr P29 pistons which are also the same price. Forged pistons are not needed at all for the HP you mentioned. nor sleeves. Youd be better off to get a bseries if you want n/a power..it would be cheaper...takes alot of effort and alot of hard work on a d series. D's are turbo motors IMO. But some people on here have balls to spend all the money it takes to make a D n/a fast. If it were me...Id check ito the Vitara pistons with the I beam that rasies teh CR...and mill/deck block and head to raise even more..and thin head gasket. If you wanan see how he does with power..Spray it for a lil while..sell the kit. then go turbo !! or just turbo it to begin with and just put in a 5lb spring!!!

the cam most people use for D is the ZEX 59300.

450cc DSM injectors are a good all around injector size. or use RC for plug an play. the peak an hold(dsm injectors) require to wire in a resistor box.. buts its easy..you can make them plug and play if done right.

255lph Fuel pump is needed for say 250whp+ on the safe side. ive seen them goto 300whp...but after month burn out. http://www.xenocron.com/catalog/fuel-pump-c-33.html

they have most of the parts you will need. and they are very good people!!

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
you don't need to get all crazy with the sleeves and arias pistons if you are looking for modest gains like 200hp...just keep the engine stock and run low psi like around 5-6 psi tops, then convert to obd1 with a chipped p28 ecu. Now when smog time rolls around, just yank off the turbo, put stock d16y8 ecu back in car and smog it. Actually though, alot of smog shops don't even care what you have on your engine as far as mods, as long as it passes the ecu check and the tailpipe, they'll pass you. It's the chp and the ref you have to worry about....they'll give you tickets even if you show that your parts have the CARB approval....It's best to stay 'sleeper' status in socal, no fancy fartcan mufflers, no big shiny cai's, and if you do run a cai, hide it with the stock air box tube..lol

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
Welcome, Gee I guess I can say, been there done that. I can tell you start out slow, like most have told you, you don't need sleeves (yet). Lower you compression to less then 9.5, it's much easier to tune. Get one of the 2 CARB legal kits.

You can do 160-170whp cheap. Than over the next year or two begin to save your money. This will get real expensive in about 2-3 years. My son and I started when he was your son's age, he's now 21 and our car was in the Oct issue of Turbo magazine.

Watch your money. Only spend it on things that will make the car fast enough for now. He and you will want it faster later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts