Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1446 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
updated a few details on 11/23/2009

when i first started learning about forced induction my favorite thing to do was lurk on build threads. so here is mine for the next generation.

ive done most everything myself minus machine work on the block. ive also spent some good cash on tools. (if you do this, make sure you have an adequate tool box first. or your precision tools will get owned)

desired results:

i started off collecting bottom end parts soon after my 2nd build started. my first build didnt last, and i was so disappointed. i wanted to have a stable reliable car. i didnt feel it was possible with the stock bottom end. i had never drag raced before at this point.

that was almost a year ago. boy have things changed. since then, my 2nd setup has been running rock solid at 10+psi daily. and it hits WOT/max boost every drive it gets warm on. some that it doesnt.

the difference? the tune. i had my 2nd setup dyno tuned by a reputable tuner.

then i took the stock setup drag racing. i fell in love. i cant think of any better place to spend my time or my money.

so now i have all these parts, a car that could weigh 1800lb or less, and a shit load of knowledge. time for a new DD, and this civic to become a weekend warrior/drag car.

setup 3:

a6 block and head, bisimoto custom 1.2 grind (ended up using a Colt cam A6 NA grind... couldnt beat 11.79 w/ the bisi cam... )
china .50ar/.63ar turbo, 44 trim (yup, measured it myself...) EDIT: replaced by Holset He351CW. hehe
75.5 vitaras (ended up going with 8.5:1 SRP forged after vitara motor dropped a valve)
FJT i beams (ended up using Eagles after the vitara motor went south)
basicly the whole FJT kit, minus the HG (edit; didnt use much of this after it was all said and done. got a good job at an oem parts supplier)
tial 38mm sport
obd1 w/ ectune
gm 3bar
bosch fuel pump
leaning towards precision 880cc injectors (ended up going with Venom 750cc's, they flowed like shit. replaced with Precision 788's)
weirtech traction bar kit
1990 honda civic cx (was an auto, and it was white... heh)
torn between splog and cast mani, but will try the splog first. (fuck the cast manifold) edit: cast manifold sold. splog for this near, maybe top mount next??

notes:

i want to be forced into installing a roll cage
ive never build a bottom end before
i live on my own and support myself, not much extra cash
i have a welder, and i like to use it.

pics
the car

tear down

fresh block, 75.5mm .004 over

micropolished crank

first attempt at notching... did go far enough.

here we go. this was enough.

home made oil fittings. filed true (only get to use the drain now since the china t3/t4 is gone)

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fitting the rings for clearance with old 75mm piston

feeler'n it up, upper ring .018 2nd .019

installing the retaining clip for the wrist pin. mine slid in no problem

rings on the pistons. i used the endyn ring diagram.

gotta have your arp lube...

dont forget to put lube under the head of the bolt.

pistons in. i used a sleeve ring compressor. it worked well when it wasnt upside down and held firmly to the cylinder.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
main caps all ready for action

havnt notched the gurdle

they sit flush...

fabbing up the splog manifold...

verifying if the stock oil pump was still good. spec'd out.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gm 3 bar

here we are as of today.

here are some of the things im currently using, and plan to use on build 3

home made catch can

weirtech traction bar kit

moroso exhaust slash cut pcv system

things left to do
now i need to refresh my head with a little valve grind compound, replace the valve seals and swap an a6 cam in. (its a b2 head)

chase the threads and throw the arps in.

throw the timing belt on.

make new down pipe. already have flanges and mandrel u

get ectune, injectors, fuel pump, high pressure bov, obd1 swap and new charge 2/2.5inch charge piping. prolly more i cant remember. too much money. lol at least i got winter to build up

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah its all lubed. i usually didnt want to take pics with my new cam after i lubed everything up. haha. ;)

the one thing i forgot was the heads of the arp rod bolts. so i had to redo them. that was annoying. see my note above that pic. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
woooooooooh! makes me want to do a rebuild but im just too scared like little.. and the cost is holdin me back but this write up makes me want to tear the little engine up. great write up! i know you hate me dan

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Looks great!

O fuck me. that fitting on the block coolant drain plug is fucking sick. that and and a TT adapter for coolant that goes inbetween the upper hose and the head and you have clean painless water cooled turbo. Did you fab that or does someone sell it??

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i tried to drill and tap the stock sender for 1/4 npt but i fucked it up and it didnt tap straight. and npt is hard enough to tap when it is straight.. i just gave up and welded an npt fitting to it.

i want to make my own adapter block. but i might buy one. i have everything id need... more pics i guess. :)

i forgot to mention i wont be using that plug because this turbo isnt water cooled.

1 - 20 of 1446 Posts