Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a mini-me swap I've been working on for a couple of months. Started it for the first time tonight.
The car idles fine, 6-700 rpm. (except after I took it around the block it was idling at like 200rpm then I tapped the gas and it jumped back). It appears to be in time, to the untrained eye.

The fan in front of the header only comes on when the a/c is on, but the car still slowly heats up. I shut it off before it gets near the red, about 1/4in before. Usually it takes about 10 minutes to get that hot.
The other fan, however, does not come on at all. Fuses are good, and it is plugged in. Car is full of fluids, coolant/water 50/50ish.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Try jumping the fan switch plug to see if the fan comes on. If the fan comes on when the plug is jumped then your fan switch is bad.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
have you also bled the coolant system with the heater turned on? just a thought if there may be a trapped bubble or something.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jumped the switch and the fan came on, kept it jumped until car cooled down to operating temp. The car cooled down nearly immediately.

I changed the thermostat switch and it is still doing the same thing. I tried a new one and a used one that worked. Would it be the thermostat, maybe?
The car stays at about 3/4 full temp idling with the a/c on and fans on 4.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just saw the part about bleeding the coolant. (My phone doesn't always load all of the posts on a thread.)
Should I have the key in the "ON" position with the heat on?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Thermostat could be bad or air is in the system. Have motor running with heat on to bleed the system.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Have you tested the rad fan relay? The temp switch is just a signal for the relay to give power to the fan.
Jumping the fan switch plug tested the relay,fuse,wiring and fan switch. It worked when jumped so it's either the switch,thermostat or air in system. Could also be water pump or radiator cap not building pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts