Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for a little input on an issue I've discovered.
I've got a stock d16z6 with a five speed. Yesterday I noticed that the car is making a sort of knocking noise driving around town. It's VERY faint, to where the average ear would probably not notice it. It only occurs when I'm lightly on the gas in 4th or 5th gear. It completely disappears when I let off the gas, and goes away if I get on the gas more (or I just can't hear it anymore). I cannot recreate it in neutral while revving the engine.
It's a faint, consistent knock. I have no idea how long it's been doing this.

A little background on the car- Stock d16z6 with unknown miles. Has an aftermarket MSD cap with an external coil (previous owner). I changed the timing belt, tensioner, and waterpump about 10,000 miles ago with OEM parts. Oil level never got low to my knowledge.

Could this be the beginnings of a rod knock? Or could this be more related to pre-ignition? I've never dealt with either so not to sure where to start. Feels like I could go in a hundred different directions right now (Dropping oil pan, buying a timing light, etc...)

I'm planning on changing the valve stem seals later this week along with a valve adjustment. I'm almost positive that that's not the cause but I was planning on doing it before this and it'll be one less thing :D

Where do you guys think I should start with this? Just looking for a little bit of experienced input to get some direction as my mind is going 100 miles an hour at the moment :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
its rod knock, start looking for a new block

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:
After retarding the timing with no success, I've discovered that the knock is speed dependent, not RPM dependent. That's why it can't really be heard in the lower gears. The faster the speed, the faster the knock. To further push away the possibility of a rod knock, I just drove the car about 250 miles with about 20 hard/high RPM pulls (To push my luck) and the car didn't burn a drop of oil and the knock hasn't gotten any worse. With a very careful ear, the knock speed stays the same despite shifting from 5th to 4th to even 3rd if speed is maintained.

I'm guessing that the problem therein lies in the transaxle. So the question is, what in the trans can cause such a sound? I can't think of anything that would make a knock sound rather than a whining one. Trans is full with honda MTF and both axles are newer and in good shape. No shimmy in the steering wheel either. Trans seems to shift alright, although it has become increasingly harder to get the car into gear after an initial startup on very cold mornings. Could this be a diff about to go? Or maybe a goofy throw out bearing problem?
:thinking:

·
Registered
92dx-turbo 92cx-pimp
89 Posts
have you checked the valves yet? could just need a lash, that can often be mistaken for a knock

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
changed the valve stem seals and did a valve adjustment. Everything looked like it had never been apart, but it all looked good to me.
Car runs great, but the knocking is still there.

Knocking is definitely speed dependent. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the diff

·
Registered
92dx-turbo 92cx-pimp
89 Posts
yeah no clue. jack it off the ground put it in 3rd and hope out and look or have someone hold the throttle at 40mph thats how i use to diagnose random noises on a lift at the old shop

1 - 6 of 6 Posts