Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to get it smogged today, and it surprisingly failed. The car passed everything but the NO(PPM) test, where I got 1080 and the max allowed is 487. This was at 15 mph, while at 25 mph the car passed, got 362 out of 774.

Now, my car is a 96 ej8 with the stock motor, except for aem sri, edelbrock header, and apexi ws2 exhaust.

I have to register this car in a couple of days and need to pass soon. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Cat?

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
if everything else is stock id say the cat is the problem but make sure your fuel and air filters are clean and your spark plugs are alright. run some injector cleaner before you go back there. but if you feel like you should then get a new cat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, everything else is stock. Do you think the fuel filter would cause the NO to be so high? I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, although i have a new fuel filter. The plugs should be okay, just replaced them less than 1000 miles ago.

How do I know if the 02 sensors or cat are not working correctly?

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
same thing happened to me but i had a crack in the stock header...same car too..does your stock header have a crack? It was a common problem with the EJ8's and was actually recalled

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
same thing happened to me but i had a crack in the stock header...same car too..does your stock header have a crack? It was a common problem with the EJ8's and was actually recalled
I don't have a crack in the stock manifold, but that doesnt matter since im using an aftermarket header.

Here is my sheet. Why would the nox be so high at 15 mph but pass without problems at 25?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I dont know if its the same around as around here, but if are cars are too low to get on the dyno/rollers they do a idle test. Ive yet to ever see anythign fail a idle test. so if any of mine or my buddies cars dont pass we just slam it so low that it cant get on rollers. dont know if yall can do that but it works great for us

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
changing the intake back to stock, header back to stock, and fuel filter made me pass..
damn..... now put all your shit back on!

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
I passed with my old stock intake, DC header (carb legal), stock cat and 2.25" exhaust.
had to adjust the timing though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts