Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it'd be bad to do so, but could I swap out my 1.1 bar radiator cap for a 1.3 -1.35 bar cap without having to swap out for a new radiator? The reason I ask is during spirited driving, my temp gauge goes slightly past the half way mark. Just want to drop the temp a tad and a cap would be pretty cheap. Plus its pretty :D

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
... so many things i wanna explain but fear wont be understood

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha feel free to explain, I do know that by increasing the cap pressure though that it would raise the boiling point thus increasing cooling efficiency...correct, or nein?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So does anybody have an idea? I just want to know if the factory radiator can take the higher pressure...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
If you only go barely past the middle of the gauge, what's the point?
An increased boiling point will only be effective if you reached the boling point in the first place, no?

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
the car is designed to run at a operated temp, lets say if you dont have a spirited driving day and just coast around the temp may be too low and stay in open loop causing your fuel mileage to go down. or it may get to a point where it pops in and out of closed loop causing weird problems. just leave the stop cap on there and make sure the stock cooling system has been flushed and working properly

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the straight answer :) I am going to be flushing my system soon anyways, I was just wondering :p

·
Registered
DX coupe (EJ6)
52 Posts
Flush cooling system completely. Clean rad from back to front with pressure washer. Install a new oem cap. Install new oem thermostat. Enjoy.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
higher pressure cap won't increase the heat transefer of the radiator, you have other issues.

Look into a $100 Autozone upgrade.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
uh, if you drive the car hard and the temp increases, your cooling system sucks balls.

many people run stock cooling on mild turbo setups in a pinch and they perform okayy, een those of them that used turbos with water cooling.

Definitely behind you on the flushing, would be the key action to decide if your cpooling system needs some parts repalced. backflush the hell out of it with distilled water if possible, or use regular water and be sure to get a flushing agent to counteract the water's corrosion-causing ability.

good luck man!

if it turns out the radiator is too plugged up (which Im guessing is the problem if the thermostat is good) the ebay el cheapo aluminum radiaotors work beautiful for the money. the only disadvantage is there are so many sellers, and it might take a long time to find a reliable one that packages their items good eough. radiators can be fragile lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need to get my car into my auto tech class so that I can flush it completely, I have no idea when that'll be though :) I'll just see how it goes I spose, thanks for all the info though guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts