Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does no one do more of these cost effective swaps.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
because they're hard to do right?

you either need to do an F2B (which is a lot of work) or cut up your floorpan to fit an F shifter box.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
^ That, and weight, after you pay and do a bit of work your left with a heavy motor. The torque is good but I know there are more effective swaps for the cost of time and money and weight.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Great motor for drag setups. But not as much support as say a b/k or even d motor. But its basically a big ass d series. The f22a head is the best notec head and from what HiProfile has said the f23 VTEC head flows the best right out of the gate. As far as mounting goes. There will def be mods if you stick to an h22 trans but you will need to convert to cable shift.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I've seen a few f22a builds now as well as G23 and their cool builds but you really have to look into it. To do it without shelling out thousands of dollars takes fabrication skill and A very solid mechanical background knowledge. Their not an easy swap to do wether you do f2b or go straight F swap you need to have some fab skill. I definitely wanna try a G2B in the future when I know my way around a welder and machine tools A lot better.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I've seen a few f22a builds now as well as G23 and their cool builds but you really have to look into it. To do it without shelling out thousands of dollars takes fabrication skill and A very solid mechanical background knowledge. Their not an easy swap to do wether you do f2b or go straight F swap you need to have some fab skill. I definitely wanna try a G2B in the future when I know my way around a welder and machine tools A lot better.
The other big thing now is the reverse flow heads. Head is flipped around and new cams ground. But it takes a ton of fab work as well as running custom everything. But they make great power when paired with itbs sticking out the front for that awesome ram air effect!:clit:
And I mean everything. New header, intake, oil lines, fuel, reverse pistons, material added to the block, custom hg, ton of machine work, etc. But is very one of a kind and unique.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I read A bit about that in honda tuning magazine cant even imagine what ball game that would be to start flippin heads around shit makes me jealous though ha ha

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
That's called messin with people. Saw that article too. Was crazy what is involved. But does put down some great numbers and has huge potential when setup and tuned properly.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
After I got the block shaved & the 2 items welded (rear & top brackets), it was like tossing in a 1.6L single cam. I've spent more time making downpipes for my D16 than I have on the F2B swap. A supercharged D may be close to the useable power from an F22, but those aren't as DD friendly IMO. F22's are also cheaper than most D16 blocks...

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Cheap yes but A good amount of fabrication lol you and hiprofile make the plateless f2b look so easy lol!!!!

I wanna try it cuz at least if I fail I wont be crazy deep into money with it.....

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I have heard from A few people now if your doing an F/H swap dont even bother with even the H22A tranny they suck, and you will be much happier with A B series tranny in the end... thats why the tranny is kind of the deal breaker for me because its either plateless F2B or bend over for A $700 plate.....

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
They make it look easy because they arent afraid to try it, and just do work, and get shit done.

Nothing in life is impossible to do. Some things might require patience, or help, but its never impossible.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I dont think I have crazy fab skills in fact TheBeave makes fun of my welds hahaha

I do try shit, it it dont look right then just redo it.

I try to learn as much as I can and then just go for it. The best teacher is running into issues. F2b has been really easy, my only set backs have been time and weather. Flux core is my friend hahaha

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
F Swaps are cheap to. Found one for 800 bucks 45k miles ecu axles trans harness. 200 ship.

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
153 Posts
I don't get the reverse head thing. Wouldn't custom cams with essentially flip flopped timing have the same effect? Or are exhaust ports bad to use for intake and intake ports bad for exhaust flow or something? I don't get the reasoning behind flipping the head vs just flipping the cam profiles.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
It's actually both. You reverse the head. The intake is now on the front and exhaust on the back. Then you grind the cams backward. Same profile but reversed. This is because the bottom end is still spinning counter clockwise. So the cams need to be reversed. Also there needs to be machining to accept them in reverse as everything is now on the opposite side of the head. Cam gear and dizzy are in their usual spots but need to be custom mounted to the head and an oil line run from the block to the head as the oil feed passages won't line up. Especially true on the dohc heads.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
You can run itb's that stick out of the hood. True ram air design. Other than that I don't see the point either. Maybe just see what can be done

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
153 Posts
I still don't get why custom cam(s) can't be made that just open the exhaust first then the intake, timed appropriately, with the head oriented in its normal position with the cam or cams spinning in the normal fashion. Pistons draw the air in, valves just let it flow where it can when it can. Maybe I'm too dense to get it but it seems like it would save trouble. Retime cams, weld distributor groove and renotch, rock out with flow into the exhaust ports and out the intake. Unless port floor shape makes it worthless of course. Shit on a dohc you could probably do it without custom cams, just set them in the right timing spots for reverse flow. Does timing change in normal vtec or do only the events start earlier and end later with more lift? Idk i've never looked that closely into it and i've only ever had a sohc d.

Now that I think about it the intake water port would now be next to the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts