Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Civic/intgra
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Folks,

I have a 96 OBD ii accord that had a standard 2.2 non-vtec SOHC motor. I bought an 2002 JDM F20B SOHC for dirt cheap that I swapped in. Runs okay on the non-vtec but I'm sure the non vtec ecu is on wimpy limpy mode. Car won't go past 5k and lacks power but can still gradually reach a desired speed.

The problem is that there is minimal details on F20B sohc when you search f20B you get dual cam results...

I'm trying to find the proper ecu to make my accord run good. I'm thinking my only option is to get a 98-02 USDM SOHC 2.3 liter vtec ecu... Can't find the original f20B sohc ecu nowhere.

The same motor I have: http://m.ebay.com/itm/281118548321?nav=SEARCH

(1) I've heard something about 98-02 sohc accords can have immobilizer on ecu
(2) would this 98-02 accord ecu plug In straight to the factory ecu harness?

·
Premium Member
CRX Si
559 Posts
Hello Folks,

I have a 96 OBD ii accord that had a standard 2.2 non-vtec SOHC motor. I bought an 2002 JDM F20B SOHC for dirt cheap that I swapped in. Runs okay on the non-vtec but I'm sure the non vtec ecu is on wimpy limpy mode. Car won't go past 5k and lacks power but can still gradually reach a desired speed.

The problem is that there is minimal details on F20B sohc when you search f20B you get dual cam results...

I'm trying to find the proper ecu to make my accord run good. I'm thinking my only option is to get a 98-02 USDM SOHC 2.3 liter vtec ecu... Can't find the original f20B sohc ecu nowhere.

The same motor I have: 98 02 Honda Accord 2 0L 4 Cyl 98 Odyssey SOHC vtec Engine JDM F20B | eBay

(1) I've heard something about 98-02 sohc accords can have immobilizer on ecu
(2) would this 98-02 accord ecu plug In straight to the factory ecu harness?
does it have a check engine light?

·
Registered
Civic/intgra
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it have a check engine light?
It's only throwing 2 codes for An EGR valve and a tranny speed sensor.

I'm wondering if the 97 accord vtec ecu has different maps than the non-vtec. I was reading yesterday and indeed the 98-02 accords have the immobilizer thing on the ecu.

·
Premium Member
CRX Si
559 Posts
It's only throwing 2 codes for An EGR valve and a tranny speed sensor.

I'm wondering if the 97 accord vtec ecu has different maps than the non-vtec. I was reading yesterday and indeed the 98-02 accords have the immobilizer thing on the ecu.
yes different maps for fuel timing and vtec engagementt

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Use the injectors from the F22 to match the ecu being used. It's possible, albeit unlikely, they used 290cc injectors in the F20B while the F22 would have had 240cc injectors.

If it was throwing CYP or CKP codes, it would be easy. Most JDM motors kept those sensors in the distributor while USDM motors moved them onto the oil pump housing. That being the case, it could be the egr is plugged or stuck on. That will cause major problems, and you'll have a fraction of the power. The VSS code usually disables vtec only. Keep in mind the vtec cam's non-vtec lobe is even weaker than the F22 non-vtec main lobe, and the F20 has 7mm less stroke than the F22.

Solve the codes first, then see how it runs.

·
Registered
Civic/intgra
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use the injectors from the F22 to match the ecu being used. It's possible, albeit unlikely, they used 290cc injectors in the F20B while the F22 would have had 240cc injectors.

If it was throwing CYP or CKP codes, it would be easy. Most JDM motors kept those sensors in the distributor while USDM motors moved them onto the oil pump housing. That being the case, it could be the egr is plugged or stuck on. That will cause major problems, and you'll have a fraction of the power. The VSS code usually disables vtec only. Keep in mind the vtec cam's non-vtec lobe is even weaker than the F22 non-vtec main lobe, and the F20 has 7mm less stroke than the F22.

Solve the codes first, then see how it runs.

Thank you for the advice and information. I got more valuable info off your reply than I have researching this motor. + rep

I'll figure the EGR valve error and I'll update on how she runs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts