Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time lurker without an account but found a problem I can't diagnose and fix with Google. I've got a 2000 civic lx that had a d16y7 with no compression and a manual trans. After I put my '98 lx in a ditch, I swapped that d16y7 into the 2000 lx and kept the standard (old car was auto). It's ran with only a slight surging while cold for months now until I did the head gasket yesterday. Now it's surging between 2k and 3k all the time. If I'm driving it will try to accelerate etc. Is it something as simple as a vacuum hose I left unhooked or something bigger? I just cleaned the IACV as that's been a problem in the past, and I know I should just replace it but money is tight. Thanks in advance - Kenton

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vacuum hose or coolant not bled. Unless there was something different about auto/manual with the intakes.
Ok. I'll check that out, what's the best way to bleed the coolant for these? And they've similar intakes. The one that was on the old motor had a hose fitting while three one that was put in does not. It's just a small one to the left of the TB. This is the intake off the old motor. I did find find another small hose that was disconnected on the back of the IM that fixed the surging, now it's idling at ~2100

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I did some research to bleed the coolant, and I was in the middle of that and it went from a constant 2k rpm idle back to surging but from ~1500 to ~2500. Also looked up that vacuum port and it's for the cruise control, but both cars had cruise. It started surging again when I put the radiator cap back on, not sure if this is a coincidence or not

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Vac leak? Does turning ur heater blower on BLAST make it stop surging?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vac leak? Does turning ur heater blower on BLAST make it stop surging?
Nothing I do with the HVAC controls change it. I have replaced the IACV and just did the IM gasket. Now it's not surging, but it wants to stay at 4k rpm.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
turn the a/c to heat and turn it on full blast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turn the a/c to heat and turn it on full blast.
Ok, thank you. If that's all I need to do, then it was bled before I did the intake manifold gasket last night and it was still trying to idle at 4k.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
check the tension on the throttle cable.
spray carb cleaner around vacuum lines and see if the idle changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
check the tension on the throttle cable.
spray carb cleaner around vacuum lines and see if the idle changes.
I've done both of those and nothing changed. I've sprayed it with carb cleaner twice and absolutely nothing changed.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Iacv improperly adjusted/disassembled inside housing
Throttle cable too tight
Idle screw improperly adjusted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Iacv improperly adjusted/disassembled inside housing
Throttle cable too tight
Idle screw improperly adjusted
The iacv is new, I haven't tried adjusting it yet though. I know the throttle cable is adjusted properly and has been. I checked it last night too, I've messed with the idle screw and it didn't change much. Not a noticeable amount, I have cleaned the throttle body. And I changed the gasket when I did so that's not causing an air leak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts