Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i went to the scrappy and found myself a d16y8, which i needed the cam shaft, rocker assembly and ecu. all was going well until i looked at the ecu code and it said p2e :S rather than p2p. i looked up and the car is automatic. the rocker assembly has ex stamped on it and the engine bay is definately stamped d16y8.

if i was to get hold of a p2p ecu am i going to get vtec? the ecu code is as follows 37820-p2e-g01-906-105870. i also thought that the 0 in g01 meant it was a manual :s so i am extremely confused

·
Registered
1998 Civic coupe ex
97 Posts
p2p is what my auto ecu was tagged as . just checked and my 5sp ecu is p2p
a81 what year is the car that may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,664 Posts
I don't know where you're getting that ECu code from. Usually it's on a label on the side of the ECU with a bar code and would simply say: 37820-P2E-A01.

Variations in the last 3 digits, A01 in my example, would tell you whether it was an auto or manual but I can't tell you what those values would be.

However, a P2E ECU runs the D16Y7 non-VTEC engine and the P2P runs the VTEC D16Y8 engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is why i was so cofused, also the vtec solenoid was missing aswel :S i thought someone may have salvaged it before me. yer it said p2e-g01 which would suggest its not an auto ecu aswel :S the head code was still p2j-2 so do you think that the rockers and cam are still vtec parts and all i will require is the p2p ecu? im swapping it too my d15z6 u see :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Maybe someone got there ahead of you and bought the P2P ecu, the yard guys put a P2E ecu hoping a bulk sale can still be made but what do I know? (call me Mr Paranoia lol ; but they happen)

Missing vtec solenoid is enough to indicate someone got there first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
possibly lol so back to the issue, is there a way of knowing whether the rocker assembly and camshaft are from the d16y8? like i said the rockers have ex stamped on them. because if this is right then i will need is a p2p correct?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also i forgot to ask, will there be a problem swapping these parts from an automatic to manual? as the headcode for the car i took from was p2j-2 which is the auto. as i said before im swapping them into my d15z6 :)

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
um isnt p2j the d16y5(hx) designation? sounds like an y5 head on a y8 block with a y7 ecu... messy

automatic stuff doesnt affect the head other than the iacv.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no the y8 is p2j according to my research, the rockers n cam is compatable with my head. i should be ok then, coz thats nothing to do with the iacv, does it?lol anybody have a spare p2p laying about?

·
Registered
873 Posts
My engine's a hybrid of:
Y5 block - P2E - same as a Y8
Y5 head - P2J - same as a Y8
jdm D15B rocker arm assy - P08 - same as Z6

Best way to find out is to check for LMAs in the head.
If you see them then it's good - you have a Y8 and the cam will definitely have to be a 20-lober LOL!

matic? manual? it doesn't matter except for the iacv like what hatchnthoughts said.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yer ive taken it all apart and cleaned it and there are LMA's,just need to checktheir tolerances. do u know anyone on here who may have a p2p ecu i can buy? or do i need the min posts for that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts