Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what will happen if there is extra oil inside the engine? is it going to damage anything? should i check the oil before straiting the car or after engine has run for awhile? :newbie:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Umm, check the oil before starting the car. If there's no much, then while its cold, drain it out little by little and keep checking the level until its where it needs to be.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my mate stuck like 3ltrs too much oil in his D (dumbass) i don`t know about damage? but it runs really funny... idles all over the place, smoke everywhere so no it is not good having extra oil, just for good measure drain it all and replace...fuk doin it slowly, check your dipstick and try to keep it in the middle of the hi & low markers in future

·
Registered
857 Posts
Putting too much oil into engine can damage it, and for sure it will lose power because crank has to whip oil. If you're using shitty oil(or some additives), oil could foam very badly, which result lots of air packed into oil and lubrication problems. Crank whipping oil also splashes it all around cylinder walls and crankcase, which could result in excessive oil consumption, engine burning oil, detonation(oil lowers fuel octane), pollutions, and piston/ring/cylinder wear/damage.

Keep your oil level in max. level on dipstick, there's a reason for that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i found that having too much oil (on the max mark) affected my engine, its seems to be alot more responsive having it on the half mark and i cain the fuk out of it... plus i could always smell the oil and no i did not overfill... never went over the max mark just slightly under, but i `spose its all my own opinion i just feel more comfortable like that

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
Putting too much oil into engine can damage it, and for sure it will lose power because crank has to whip oil. If you're using shitty oil(or some additives), oil could foam very badly, which result lots of air packed into oil and lubrication problems. Crank whipping oil also splashes it all around cylinder walls and crankcase, which could result in excessive oil consumption, engine burning oil, detonation(oil lowers fuel octane), pollutions, and piston/ring/cylinder wear/damage.

Keep your oil level in max. level on dipstick, there's a reason for that.
x2!!!:TU:

·
Registered
My Crix
1,169 Posts
i found that having too much oil (on the max mark) affected my engine, its seems to be alot more responsive having it on the half mark and i cain the fuk out of it... plus i could always smell the oil and no i did not overfill... never went over the max mark just slightly under, but i `spose its all my own opinion i just feel more comfortable like that
its called windage, the more area from the bottom of the crank to the top of the oil level the less turbulence in the crankcase equaling more hp or torque.

Tatsuru Ichishima from spoon recomeds running slightly more than the high mark if your gonna track the car, this is to prevent oil surges and lack of oil/oil pressure in hard corners
im not sayin hes wrong or anething but the only time i experienced oil surge was when my motor was burnin oil before i rebuilt and i was 2 quarts down on oil. I run my car half or 3/4 low on oil when i track race and the motor does great as opposed to full on oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tatsuru Ichishima from spoon recomeds running slightly more than the high mark if your gonna track the car, this is to prevent oil surges and lack of oil/oil pressure in hard corners
Spoon was probably referencing the B series motors, which do have issues with oil pick under high lateral g's ..... hence alot of roadrace guys running B's have baffled oil pans to limit this issue. D series motors do not have this issue so running additional oil is not needed. My D16's oil pressure doesn't drop below 50psi under long duration high g corners when roadracing, the only proof I need.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
but you can starve your cam for oil in those high G sweepers......

long hard RH will allow the lobes closest to the dizzy to be uncovered, ruining the cam lobes and rockers.

I believe the track was VIR long course.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
with my car.. d series usually take only 3.5 quarts.. i just put in the full 4 also to cover the oil cooler when its running

1 - 12 of 12 Posts