Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR, I have an extra Si (D16a6) transmission (unknown condition) that I need to get rid of. I am debating either scrapping it at a recycle center or disassembling to see if there are any salvageable parts that are worth pulling off and reselling. I believe some of the parts (like shift forks) are discontinued which is why I feel bad about just scrapping it.

I'm willing to split the case but I don't want to do much more. So, question is, what parts are worth saving that I would be able to identify as "good" by just splitting the trans?

And I apologize in advance. I never bothered (nor do I have the desire) to learn much about transmissions.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
You won't get much for it unless you separate the steel from the aluminum. You can inspect most parts by splitting it but you need to know what you're looking for.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, I won’t ask to be spoon fed too much but can you point me in the right direction regarding the most easily identifiable parts? I have a FSM so I can get the details from there.

If I can get $15 from this, I’ll be better off than the scrap yard and I’ll feel a little better knowing I potentially helped someone who actually needed a part that could have been used

·
Registered
96 honda civic
18 Posts
Well it’s hard to tell you what to save because we don’t know the damage to the Tranny. We can think one thing and be another. Check the gears and synchros spin bearing check for noise or abnormal scuffs etc..

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
All about those forks....

getting all the steel out of the alum case is a PITA...I know I used to do it when time was all I had.

I just junked a case but saved the gears and forks, yet to inspect though. I leave the case out on trash night for the scrappers.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Pop it open and look at the magnet first, that should give you a very rough idea of how beat it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts