And that is just a cast manifold...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
no, the one i saw had the flange bolted to the manifold, nothing welded.

drill 2 holes, tap for bolts, and mount with a gasket

welding on cast metal never lasts
i know what you are talking about, and the 2 bolt flange was definitely welded to the manifold. the WG was then bolted to the flange

there is no way to just "bolt it up"

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well that's not hard at all. You really just want to make sure that you have a pretty flat surface before you drill and tap. Props to the owner :TU:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
from the looks of things, i think a flange was braized on. i can see in another thread of matt's that the welds were re-done.

however, i'm wondering if it is possible to do without welding on a flange. i have a CX manifold in front of me, and the top seems flat enough. i'd say very do-able.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
call me crazy, but here it is

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1832931

i guess i'm not sure from that pic if a flange was welded on, or not. it doesn't really look like it, to me.

ahh! i remember that one now :TU:

drill a bigger hole, drill and tap bolt holes, make sure its a flat surface, and i dont see why it wouldnt work

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the owner :

"Just bore it out to match the 38mm hole diameter. The standard mig welder isn't going to work if you want to make it like mine. I believe my welder used some kind of tig technique with mine where he used a single stick of cast rod to weld with. I'm not sure exactly how my guy does it, but he is good. When he got done with it the manifold looked sick. It looked like it had came stock that way. Over time the manifold where the metal was smoothed over on top has became slighlty porus and leaks very slightly. Not enough to hear a leak, but enough to see where it leaks a tiny bit on the edge of the wastegate. When i had it brazed on though it leaked like a son of a bitch after about a year. The flange actually fell off completely while i was on the way to the welder's shop lol. Dont expect a braze to hold up on it."

his username on honda-tech is, "SOHC_MShue"

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
exactly. like i said, welding won't work... and is the reason i'd like to bolt it directly to the manifold like so many other cast manifolds are.

i just held a straight-edge up to my CX mani, and it is pretty damn flat. there's some lettering casted on it where i think the bolt holes would go, but nothing a little grinding couldn't take care of

1 - 20 of 35 Posts