Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my driver's side door handle go out on my Sol...no big deal, right? I have about five sitting around. So I take out of the hardest 10mm bolt first and then go for the inner 10mm bolt. It seems a little tougher to get off than the first one...I push the handle out and start disconnecting everything. That's when i realize something potentially angering has happened.

As i was removing the front 10mm bolt off the handle, the MOUNTING TAB that is connected to the door tore right off. Which means I only have one bolt and means even the ENTIRE DOOR is pretty much useless.

I can think of a thousand ways to attempt to fix this. My question to my d-series bros is-

Has anyone used a method that worked?

The original tab is too mangled and twisted to use. I can't be the first person this has happened to. I have another door if I find myself in a pinch.

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
could redneck it and zip screw a piece of metal into the door and use a nut and bolt. or remove the panel and weld a new tab on

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of the redneck method...swear to god...
but this is the car I'm trying to keep clean.

Maybe using a BIG piece of metal behind the door with the small tab coming off that...and having that big piece of metal held on with body panel adhesive? Get what I'm saying? Lot of to hold onto. ??? That might work...

Or I just weld it up...such a stupid goddam thing to sheer off. Hah!

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
how are you going to apply pressure to the sheet while you wait for it to dry without it sliding down or peeling back?

·
Registered
983 Posts
my buddies hatch had a similar issue. both tabs ripped off the door lol.

the metal is too thin to weld without a tig i think.

we did rig up something when it was just one tab and it was kinda like your idea. a chunk of metal to press against the inside of the door to keep the handle in place.

i think if you use decent metal and decent body adhesive (that shit is stronger than welding some times) you could rig up something to hold for a while.

ultimately we ended up just replacing the door.

oh one other option you could try. electronic door poppers. we did this on his car for a little while till the solenoid on the driver side went out lol.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed...big piece of metal up against the inside of the door with JB weld holding it on.
not too pretty...but it's damn stronger than the original.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my buddies hatch had a similar issue. both tabs ripped off the door lol.

the metal is too thin to weld without a tig i think.

we did rig up something when it was just one tab and it was kinda like your idea. a chunk of metal to press against the inside of the door to keep the handle in place.

i think if you use decent metal and decent body adhesive (that shit is stronger than welding some times) you could rig up something to hold for a while.

ultimately we ended up just replacing the door.

oh one other option you could try. electronic door poppers. we did this on his car for a little while till the solenoid on the driver side went out lol.
Totally. I have another door....I'm just too lazy to sand and paint and clear coat...because it's Captiva Blue. Hah.

This should hold for a long while. That sucker is ON THERE.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how are you going to apply pressure to the sheet while you wait for it to dry without it sliding down or peeling back?
I used a BIG ASS magnet. Held it on.

The handle is back on and working 100%

1 - 8 of 8 Posts