Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 hatch with a jdm sohc zc vtec. As of now its got aem rails, 450 injectors, hi comp pistons, forged rods, ported and polished head, h/i/e, upgraded cams and gears, and stage 2 clutch with lightened flywheel. Brakes upgraded dropped on adjustable coilovers with new struts. My turbo kit came in today. Obviously I'm changing out pistons to low comp. I want to know the best ones to use. I'm gonna run 12 psi daily and wanna know what else i should change before I boost my baby. This will be my first boosted car ever and it is my main daily. Will the 450only injectors do it for me or should i upgrade? Any help and input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Why would it be obvious to swap in low compression pistons? You could have a potent "high" compression turbo build with the right pistons, it'll just need to be tuned amazingly.

Anyway, the YCP Vitaras are very reliable. Pair them with some custom length rods and you should be set.

I'll assume you're runnign a GT60 since you didn't tell us what you were running. 12 psi might be too much.

Or not enough on a GT12.

Psi means nothing without the turbo.

Set a power goal not a psi goal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T3/t4 hybrid power goals are 250-260 hp and 190-200 tq at 12-14 psi daily and wanna go 20 psi one weekend a month for 300-325 hp and 240ish tq. Car dynoed at 182.6/147.2 as is. Are these reasonable goals? Like i said first ever boosted car or anything FI for that matter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the comp ratio now is 11.7-1 and from my research and suggestion of my tuner he said low comp ratio and since he is doing it i figured i should listen.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
unfortunately a lot of tuners are lazy and expensive or perhaps just inexperienced with high compression turbo builds. so they like low compression because it's easier to tune on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only one in my area and he is known for being very conservative also. I would love to save the money its going to cost to buy and change out the pistons. I live in north alabama and i am willing to travel up to 100 or so miles for a better more experienced tuner. This is why i came to you guys first. Thanks for the help so far. Are my power goals reasonable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But he is only charging 300 for the tuning. But wants 1000 to install it. I would but i never have and dont wanna fuck my daily ya know. Plus i have always been sbc/sbf with carbs so this is all it very new to me. Is that a high install price? No one else in town to compare it to

·
Registered
65 Posts
Am I the only one that's getting this? You dyno'd 182.6? That's gotta be close to some sort of record on an NA SOHC.

As far as your HP goals, it really depends on the turbo you decided to go with. A t3/t4 is pretty vague... and why are you concentrating on running X amount of boost? (Ie, you say you want 12-14, daily... why?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I want to run the highest daily psi possible without destroying my motor and just from my research that seems like as high as i can for the amount i drive but as mentioned i have no idea about boost. Also i am on my phone an that should have been 172.6 sorry. Fat fingers on a little touch screen edit: they said i won't get anything else out of my motor staying na thats why i wanna boost it now. Its the godspeed del sol rev kit on ebay thays been discussed numerous times on the site if thay helps. I have a garrett turbo to change out if need be also

·
Registered
65 Posts
Boost is relative. In fact, if you were to keep your high compression pistons in, you could possibly make the same power at 7 psi as opposed to 12 psi on vitara pistons. For the most part, the boost you run daily is going to be limited to the gas you decide to run. There are people out there running 35+ psi daily but they're using E85 where as on say 91 octane, the most you might be able to run is 21 psi (again, just throwing out arbitrary numbers as its going to depend on YOUR setup)

I suggest you pick a HP number you want to hit and go from there. From what I'm seeing on the ebay kit, the turbo MIGHT be a 57 trim. You should be able to hit your horsepower goals with that. I've seen people dyno over 400 whp on a 57 trim.... but it wasn't an Ebay 57 trim, so YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to run 93 ethanol free with two bottles of octane boost formulated with jet fuel. We tested it at school well the professor did and it always averaged 96-97 so with that can i run 10 psi with my hicomp 11.7-1 setup? What type numbera could i expect? 275-300 hp 235 tq? That would be great. How high could i boost for 10-15 1/4 mile runs one night a month? Thanks man you are really setting me in the right direction bro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well don't just watch give me input. I am honest and not scared to say i am clueless about boost. I just go on what i researched. I ran that same gas combo in my 85area sierra classic 383 and 351 Windsor swapped 88 mustang. I just got so tired of other v8 drivers talking shit about hondas i wanna show my boys up with this hatch. They don't even know about it and won't until they only see tail lights and my middle finger out the window. Lol. You know the ppl I'm talking about. I have always respectes anyone who is passionate about building any car and making it thier own. Back to subject tho, whats the best option for me here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also if you can point me to a good hi comp tuner in Nashville or atlanta i will drive the three hours either way. Maybe birmingham or somewhere in bama. Once again thanks and keep the good info coming. I love learning new stuff. Wish i was comfortable enough to install myself tho ro save some cash to put elsewhere in my project.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like you've got a lot to learn....

That said, if you run 96 octane, you MIGHT be able to run 10 psi on your high compression pistons. Unfortunately, I can not tell you either way because I do not know- your setup will ultimately determine if the motor will knock or not. IF the intercooler is efficient enough and IF your turbo is efficient enough not to blow hot air at that boost level and IF your magic gas formulation prohibits knock at that boost, then you SHOULD be fine. There are just too many unknowns.

As far as what numbers to expect.... that's an unknown as well. Nobody is going to be able to what power you're going to make based on assumptions and unknowns. The only thing is certain, is that when you put it on a DYNO, it will tell you.

And boosting extra for the quarter mile... wow. Lets just say you have a turbo kit and your particular turbo kit runs 12 psi everyday (as an example, and its safely tuned) and then you decide to run 21 at the track. Well, alot of factors come into play before you make that decision. Things like can your pistons/rods/block/head/cam handle that kind of boost (from your particular turbo?), do you have enough fuel (injectors, pump, fuel lines) to run that boost? Do you have the right fuel for it? Will your turbo still be efficient at that boost? Is your intercooler efficient enough for the boost? Can your engine management handle the increase? Etc, etc, etc. Again, alot of unknowns and its a decision you're going to have to make.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks man. I guess i need to discuss these factors with whoever tunes it for me. Its not magic gas just two $6bottles of octane boost in 12 gallons of 93 ethanol free gas. Just cheap half ass race fuel kind of. Well i think if i can run 300+ daily on a safe psi i wouldn't want or need to increase boost for track nights. It was just a thought /wish i guess. Thanks alot and i will update everyone when i have made all of these decisions based on everything thats going to factor in to my build. Any good meets in the South East anytime soon? Like this month or next? Yea off topic but can't i jack my own thread lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And yes as stated twice I believe I know nothing on this subject which is the main reason i joined dso. Thank you for the help and being patient as a lot of ppl are not. I have learned more tonight than in all my hours of research because I had my specific questions answered. And if you think of anything else that would help me please pm me or email or post here. I really do appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts