Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys new here so if this belongs somewhere else move please...
but just blew a head gasket on my 96 civic lx and im thinking of doing a few upgrades while its down. so my question is this, what is a the best exhaust to get and where from? I'm wanting header, test pipe, and everything to the all the way back. also any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,398 Posts
Im willing to bet this has been discussed fairly recently, as well as posts about exhausts in the "product review" section. give that search button a try?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for the double post but also curios would I be better of putting in a y8 head for v tec or decking my y7 and upping the compression a little?

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Id say the Skunk 2 header About $400
Along with the Skunk2 MegaPower Exhaust system (76mm) About $580
Some fab work will be required.

It Be the system I would use if I was to upgrade the one on my Honda.......

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You can get a ~$160 ebay exhaust and a ~$100 replacement muffler too. Not as good as the $1000 option, but it can be decent.

For a y7 the intake manifold and exhaust manifold are the major restrictions. Swapping to an automatic y8 intake is super cheap and easy, toss in a decent exhaust and its a major upgrade.

·
4,398 Posts
Im willing to bet this has been discussed fairly recently, as well as posts about exhausts in the "product review" section. give that search button a try?
depends on what youre trying to accomplish. I would swap out the intake manifold for sure.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
The Y8 would be easier to swap, if you find one in the junkyard I would get the exhaust header and down pipe and use them instead of them cheap looking ebay headers. Throw some black VHT on it and paint the heat shields silver and boom instant sexy under the hood that will last.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The Y8 would be easier to swap, if you find one in the junkyard I would get the exhaust header and down pipe and use them instead of them cheap looking ebay headers. Throw some black VHT on it and paint the heat shields silver and boom instant sexy under the hood that will last.
Have you ever seen one of the ebay headers in person when they are disassembeled? They are surprisingly well made. Not saying they couldnt be better, but for ~$50 its way more than you would expect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just dropped 300$ on a full headers back exhaust with magnaflow cat to pass inspections all from ebay and it only cost me 301$.

4-2-1 headers ~ $44
magnaflow cat - $103
4" cat back - $137

mine came out pretty nicely without a ricy buzzing sound i hear from many people who just do big tip on stock exhaust..

Anyway, thats my imput.

·
4,398 Posts
4'' cat back? jesus, is it a cummins turbo under the hood?

100$ for a bbp 2.5'' header and catback exhaust with test pipe. all I had to do was use new hardware for the 2 piece header, and better gasket material.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I've settled on a dc sports race header 4-2-1 with magnaflow test pipe and exhaust 2.5" piping

so now do I need to do anything with the ecm I know on bikes, my game, you need a tuner

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its the one piece. im also planning on doing something besides just high flow mid intake. should I just change out the intake manifold or spring for the y8 head. and how much is involved with hooking up the v-tec

·
4,398 Posts
its the one piece. im also planning on doing something besides just high flow mid intake. should I just change out the intake manifold or spring for the y8 head. and how much is involved with hooking up the v-tec
a search is involved. don't be lazy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts