Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....I had the header as well as a full s/steel exhaust done on my 92 civic. Now my exhaust temp light has started to come on, sometimes under load it will flicker off, but it's on 80% of the time. My local tech said that due to the lack of back compression from the stock header, the new header is flowing better and therefore leaner which in turn is creating more heat through the exhaust?............bullshit or fact??

The car is a 92 JDM civic RHD with a D15b swap in it, auto tranny and running a aftermarket EFI (mr Turbo) South African Brand.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
you mean coolant light? i dont think any car has a exhaust temp light.. if your so sure its what you say it is tell us what the light looks like, the color and any symbol inthe light.. im almost sure the only temp light on hondas is the coolant temp if that, i though all of us have temp gauges...

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
konigcivic said:
you mean coolant light? i dont think any car has a exhaust temp light.. if your so sure its what you say it is tell us what the light looks like, the color and any symbol inthe light.. im almost sure the only temp light on hondas is the coolant temp if that, i though all of us have temp gauges...
I was told it's my exhaust temp light. the light is the last one on the LH side . Mine's a RHD car btw that was converted from twin carbs to fuel injection. Light is red with what looks like a small cat and little lines coming off it? What the hell is this light anyway, and why the hell is it flickering on?

I noticed that the light only comes on when the car is under load. If I'm coasting, it's off.......

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found the problem

was an o2 sensor that was loose just after the headers........Co2'd the sucker back in place and the sensor light works just fine. Also saved some fuel. My Fuel management saw air in the exhaust which it in turn translated into car is running lean, so therefore it set the car to run richer........

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here goes, I just went downstairs and took a few pics, it's the light on the far left hand side of the three lights. I'm told that carb model cars come out with this. Any info???

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol........so common anyone, what the bloody hell IS this light? I was told that the reason the light was coming on was that air was coming into my exhaust through this sensor (which was rattling loose BTW) and telling the sensor that air is coming from the header........... :???: :???: :???:

damn life used to be so much easier with my beetle...............3 lights........battery, generator and indicators. Still.............I love my honda........

at least the light is off when I drive.....

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Different..
Looks like a cat with lines on it...

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
hey have you tried changing to a differnt coolant?
A friend of mine just looked at it he said his car from when he lived in japan did the same thing. just a thought

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rotory20 said:
Different..
Looks like a cat with lines on it...
I was thinking the same at one stage.......I mean what would happen if you're running a car with a cat and then for some or other reason you start to run lean? Wouldn't this make your cat to basically burn itself up from the inside???and bum out?? Hence the early warning light???

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rotory20 said:
hey have you tried changing to a differnt coolant?
A friend of mine just looked at it he said his car from when he lived in japan did the same thing. just a thought
well I welded the sensor back into place and now the light isn't showing anymore when I'm riding................I think that this is the end of that problem.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gftgrill said:
wow I've never seen a light like that before. maybe it's a local thing. We don't have that in the US.
ok..........I have some clarification which I'm told is the correct prognosis unless someone can show me wrong. Bear in mind in South Africa our local civics don't have this light as well.

This is a CAT TEMP sensor light I'm told (kinda cool). This is fitted into the stock cat and when the air temp either gets too hot or senses more than normal amounts of air in the cat, it starts the light. This usually means that either you have a hole in your cat or it's damaged, or your car is running too lean which is heating up the cat above the temps that it's supposed to operate at.

The fact that the sensor wasn't fitted back to the exhaust correctly and that it was fitted loose caused air to seep through the gap and to fool around with the sensor. i.e. causing the sensor to think that the car is either running leaner than it should or that the cat is damaged (no shit....I HAVE NO CAT....lol.).

man I'm spent.............all of this in turn was fooling around with my mr turbo EFI into making the fuel management dump more fuel into the intake and making the car run WAY rich.......

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Thats kinda cool useful "stock" thing
Hey I know its a cool thing try this

www.o2simulator.com

Free bump for them again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts