Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Wait are you talking buzzing from the exhaust or buzzing off the frame/undercarriage? Also did you unbolt your cat to find your other problem yet

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Use an oven mit and hold the muffler to see if the buzzing stops if so somethings resonating from it if it doesnt thats just the way your new exhaust will sound

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
If it is a cheapo muffler than the baffles may not have been welded very well in the muffler and are vibrating like crazy. You can add a resonator to cut down on rasp/vibrations in the exhaust too.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I cant hear shit....
oh wait its just a link....

But really we need a video to see if its the muffler or an exhaust leak.
Also from the look of the pix it looks like it would use a donut gasket where it bolts on.
If you leak that off it will have an exhaust leak even tho the flat gasket is installed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I put a new oem honda muffler on my girls 99 ex tonight. I used a aftermarket donut gasket and new spring bolts and it leaks a bit on the bottom side of the donut and sounds raspy when you really stomp the gas. I recommend replacing the donut with a OEM piece.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, i just tightened my bolts and that was not the problem. The sound coming out of muffler is like a ricers dream come true.

The only place the noise is coming from is the muffler.

I wonder if a messed up cat could send the sound through to the muffler... or is it definitely the muffler? Because i have reason to believe my cat is toast anyway.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
take of the muffler and shake it. If it rattles then its bad.
I got rip off like that before.
I went to amuffler shop and they install it but a few days later it sounded nasty. Turns out when they welded it on they overheated the muffler and drilled a hole for the hanger.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lame. I had soot all over the gasket area... so I tightened my bolts pretty darn tight. the sound is awful. could a simple exhaust leak be the cause of this? someone mentioned aftermarket donuts aren't the right size sometimes. The thing is the sound only is coming out the back of the muffler. not the gasket area.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
It's a 4 cylinder. It's suppose to sound like that?

But in all seriousness. A turbo will make the exhaust quiet. Or a big cam/valvetrain and higher compression with a higher redline will make the exhaust sound good too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts