Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Civic Coupe DX.

Recently I replaced the exhaust with the ebay exhaust. It is the typical N1 knockoff you have all seen that includes header, cat, resonator, and muffler (I would post a like but not allowed)

I bought the system based pretty much on price and power gains were not my goal. My old exhaust system had a cracked exhaust manifold and I had 2 other holes rusted through at different locations and getting this full exhaust for $161 seemed like a good deal.

Fast forward to now....The exhaust bolted up just fine but it is ungodly loud and has a metallic/rattle sound at around 3000 rpm. Maybe caused by the resonator??

Again, I am left looking for a cost effective solution to my problem with limited work. So I am considering purchasing a stock Walker muffler. Comes with the muffler and a section of prebent pipe what has a flange at the end. My hope is that I will get lucky and it will bolt right onto my aftermarket exhaust. If not, i will need to do a little cutting and welding.

Looking for feedback. Do you think this will work/solve my problem? Any other ideas? I do not think it will solve the rattling at 3000rpm but it should quiet it down a little.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The cat you got is likely not a legit cat and probably more of a test pipe, this along with the n1 muffler is probably most of your problem. Did you exhaust come with a silencer that slides into the muffler tip?

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
use your stock cat
get a VRS Exhaust kit and a quality Vibrant muffler and take it to a muffler shop and pay them per weld

Thats what i think I would have done if i knew then what i know know

My Magnaflow "highflow cat" was the last thing that went to finally get rid of all nasty buzzing/farting/rattling/ricey etc.

Below is a vid before I ditched the Magnaflow "high flow cat"

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,382 Posts
buy silencer

/thread.

or buy glasspacks/whatever brand resonator and have it welded up.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
There are other cheap options for muffler besides the fart can that came with the kit. Such as: Twin Loop

YouTube has sound clips.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Those exhaust systems do not include a catalytic converter. They have an open pipe that somewhat resembles the shape of a cat from the outside, but they do nothing to clean the exhaust and they only make the exhaust system louder. Your 3k rpm noise is most likely one of two things. Either it's a fitment/installation issue where two pieces of metal are vibrating against each other (perhaps at a flange because the provided gaskets are cheap), or it's the typical "bumble bee trapped in a tin can" raspiness that you get when you install a header and delete your cat. In my experience, installing a traditional muffler onto a situation like this will quite down the loud drone, but not always get rid of the raspy buzzy sound. Weather or not an actual oem/stock axle-back muffler (Walker brand or other) will bolt up to the system you have installed... I have no idea - you might get lucky. Or, you could just assume no and cut off the fart cannon and weld in a universal muffler. Didn't the fart can include a removable silencer? If not, you can buy them cheap... maybe that will help in the short term.

Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
From my experience:

Somewhere in your exhaust there is any number of the following

Thin guaged metal tubing

crappy sound deadening material in any resonator or muffler (you can tell by tapping your muffler or resonator etc)

Crappy catalytic converter materials

loose heat shield above where the stock catalytic converter goes

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a silencer. The distributor died right after I put the exhaust on and the engine back fired twice pretty hard and destroyed it. I bought another one, but even with the new silencer the drone on the highway is too much for me. I twin-loops seem to have a nice tone and do not appear to be too loud judging by the youtube videos I watched. That might be a better solution than the OEM muffler.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
LX/DX/CX/HX All have that catalytic converter/header manifold. Yea it does suck when you get a Walker P/N 82444 which is the stock replacement and the welds on the exit of the catalytic converter crack all the way through!!!! TWICE! haha Autozone covered the first one I have yet to see about the second.

Oh and first one lasted ~18000miles with out support for midpipe, second one ~10000miles with support for midpipe.

Now I'm just going to re-weld all the welds.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the post guys. The rattling is more of a bumble be in a tin can kind of thing. I can live with it because it isn't constant and really only happens during take off. It's the drone on the highway that gets me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sac* have you seen/heard the ebay twin loop you posted. I think I am going to get it and see what happens. If no good, some guy on craigslist will buy it from me I'm sure lol.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last dumb question for the night. The ebay twin loop says it is for a hatchback. I have a coupe......I'm assuming the part won't fit or is it close enough to make it work?

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
I have not heard the twin loop I linked.
I've been planning on buying it. Need a front bumper first haha

I'm pretty positive all axle-back mufflers are exchangeable for the coupe, hatch-back and sedan.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts