Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well going to try and making this short. (orig was to much reading lol)

Current exhaust.
2in off turbo (about 7in long, Will make 2.25 when i have the time) flares out to 2.25, then cat, then 2.25in catback to a 2.5in in stright through muffler about 4inch canister. With a 1in silencer.

I plan to install a resonator or glasspack and remove the silencer so things can flow better. Currently without the silencer the exhaust is to loud sounds like a deep truck lol.

I want to know which one will cut down on the sound the best?
Resonator that looks like a mini muffler or a glasspack that has the fins in it?

Will i gain anything from doing this? I know free flowing exhuast will net more power for the turbo but will the lose of back pressure hurt low rpm?

Just removing the silencer and starting the car im a lil bit leaner then normal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
all I have is is 3" mandrel bent thick gauge pipe off the turbo into a Magnaflow straight though muffler im very suprised how quite my exhaust is now with the turbo compared to before I installed it with just the header into the same back half. It almost as quite as stock until the turbo starts kickin

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exhaust System Technology: Science and Implementation of High Performance Exhaust Systems

There was also a really good article in hotrod magazine that I am currently having trouble finding..

I was just looking into exhaust science, determining wtf to do myself.. The Old One has an article or two as well.. his website isn't very intuitive to navigate though.
Ill try to read that its alot to read lol.

N1 style muffler sounds great
That doesnt help me any. I have an apexi fireball with the silencer its cool without its very deep and bass sounding. Had a no name muffler on my del sol and it sounded good but also had the factory resonator.

all I have is is 3" mandrel bent thick gauge pipe off the turbo into a Magnaflow straight though muffler im very suprised how quite my exhaust is now with the turbo compared to before I installed it with just the header into the same back half. It almost as quite as stock until the turbo starts kickin
Ill try to get a sound clip of mines its just has a sound thats to deep for me liking.
I like how i sounds with the silencer but id like to open up the exhaust as much as i can.
Just dont know if glasspack or resonator will do the trick. Glasspacks are cheaper tho lol.
ill run mines today with the silcner remove and see how it sounds. B

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i took a clip of it in and out.

Without it is deeper and has a loud hum around the 3k which i dont wanna hear on the freeway the whole drive.
Apexi Fireball Turbo Civic - YouTube

silencer in that 3k hum is gone and over all sound is drop.
Apexi Fireball w/SILECNER turbo civic - YouTube

Ill find out how she sounds without the silencer tonight when i get out and do my normal driving.
just trying to find a balance btw noise and power.

·
Registered
586 Posts
this is my experience, Glass pack will give you a lower note tone than a resonator. You do not want to use a louvered glass pack on a turbo setup. it impedes air flow too much. look for a perforated glass pack if you go that direction.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is my experience, Glass pack will give you a lower note tone than a resonator. You do not want to use a louvered glass pack on a turbo setup. it impedes air flow too much. look for a perforated glass pack if you go that direction.
Thats for the info.

And an update.
I drove today without the silencer in and it was way to deep and tone like.
Just didbt like it. I also notice low end power was a lil less but rev up a lil faster, but high rpm and boost was great.

I put the silencer back in for the time being im going to try and get a resonator or glasspack in a few days and see how it all goes.
If a glasspack is put right after the cat will it melt? I hear of people saying on turbos that the fibers inside would melt from the exhuast gas heat.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
putting a free-er flowing exhaust on a turbo car will allow the turbo to spool up quicker. it can be good and bad depending. if you want instant torque, its good. if you are fighting traction maybe its bad?

you will make more power everywhere with a free-er flowing exhaust on a turbo car. there are no downsides other than clearance, cost, noise, and nothing else.

edit, and ditch the cat for crying out loud.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
autozone glasspack

Yes or no?
If yes ill pick it up tommorrow.
The part number checks out and says its a perforated one. So is that the kind with a lil holes in it?

And dan i would remove the cat but ahh i try to reduce my carbon foot print lol....

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
edit, and ditch the cat for crying out loud.
No. Every car that drives on the street should have a cat. Period. It's just stupid to just not run a good high-flow cat. You won't miss the few HP you "loose" and not having one just smells up the place. Every vehicle I own does and will have a cat. Doing otherwise is horribly irresponsible, even if it is not legally required.

Yes or no?
And dan i would remove the cat but ahh i try to reduce my carbon foot print lol....
No. Cherry Bomb. I prefer the Cherry bombs over the Thrush glass packs. A cherry bomb and a magnaflow are my favorite combo for most Civics.

Using a cat does NOT decrease your carbon footprint. Even if reducing your carbon footprint was actually a valid thing to be trying to do a cat only reduces some types of carbon emissions into other types of carbon emissions. The total produced is based on how much fuel the vehicle uses. Cats don't magically make emissions disappear, they change them into forms that are more easily managed and less harmful to the immediate environment.

I swear no one has a )(#()*#$ clue about this carbon footprint idiocy. It's all a crock to charge you more via taxes and raised prices for the same effing thing. People can't even pay attention enough to high school chemistry and physics and geology to see that it is all a crock of poo.

If you want to reduce your carbon footprint, take your turbo off. Oh . . . but you don't want to do that. meh

Enough ranting. More modifying your car.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No. Every car that drives on the street should have a cat. Period. It's just stupid to just not run a good high-flow cat. You won't miss the few HP you "loose" and not having one just smells up the place. Every vehicle I own does and will have a cat. Doing otherwise is horribly irresponsible, even if it is not legally required.

No. Cherry Bomb. I prefer the Cherry bombs over the Thrush glass packs. A cherry bomb and a magnaflow are my favorite combo for most Civics.

Using a cat does NOT decrease your carbon footprint. Even if reducing your carbon footprint was actually a valid thing to be trying to do a cat only reduces some types of carbon emissions into other types of carbon emissions. The total produced is based on how much fuel the vehicle uses. Cats don't magically make emissions disappear, they change them into forms that are more easily managed and less harmful to the immediate environment.

I swear no one has a )(#()*#$ clue about this carbon footprint idiocy. It's all a crock to charge you more via taxes and raised prices for the same effing thing. People can't even pay attention enough to high school chemistry and physics and geology to see that it is all a crock of poo.

If you want to reduce your carbon footprint, take your turbo off. Oh . . . but you don't want to do that. meh

Enough ranting. More modifying your car.
Lol it was a joke about the carbon foot print. And i run cats just because its a good thing to do and i dont want to smell all that exhaust.

Im about to head out and see if i can find a cherry bomb. I thunk pepboys had them.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WEll ended up getting the thrust glass pack.
I went to check out the cherry bomb but the inside wasnt right it look messed up. probably a return from pepboys since the box was all taped up and they wanted like $50.

So finish installing the glass pack. I think i got a small leak, i was just damn hot and tired its like 100F + outside and i was just ready to hit the shower.

But drove around the block and at idle its dead silent, no hum or anything. 3k cruise its pretty quiet but deceleration is deep but still not as loud as before without the silencer.

So over all all is good. Im going to pull some data logs and retune sincethe afr where a little off.

point78 that thigns looks crazy.
acidbeaver the car is obd2 so i just gotta fool my ecu lol.. no sniffer here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts