Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I currently have a straight, no cat pipe which is connected to ractive 4-2-1 headers. I bought my car like this, I noticed the check engine light is on, I got it checked, turns out my car uses two O2 sensors, and I only have one, which is connected to the headers. The other belongs in the cat. Because of this, I think my car is running way rich because the headers have like a burnt purple tint, and the exhaust note coming from my muffler is insanely loud!! I was wondering, do you guys think if I buy the cat and connect the 2nd O2 sensor that my car will change the extremely loud noise to something more like a nice deep note, and at the same time help with my power by not running the car too rich? Also, besides a mini-me or turbo, what would you guys do to a d16y7 to squeeze a little power out of this little engine? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Richie :smile:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot guys, if you go to my vbgarage, you can see the color in the headers I'm talking about.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks thesquad, I have looked up several models on ebay. Now I came up with a problem, some of these cats have a hole for an o2 sensor. The problem is that my headers has only one hole for the primary sensor (and my car uses two o2) as you guessed, only that primary is currently hooked up. So do you think I should get a hi flow cat with the hole so that I can connect the 2nd sensor or do you think I should buy new headers with two holes and get a hi flow cat without the hole? Do you think connecting the 2nd O2 sensor in the hi flow cat have an effect on my car? I called the dealer and the guy wanted to sell me an oem cat without the hole, so I asked the location of the sensors and he told me they were on the exhaust manifold. Thanks in advance!!

Sincerely,
Richie

By the way, I have a 1998 Honda Civic LX 4 Door, in case this helps since the guy at the dealer also asked :)

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
if you only have 1 o2 sensor connected then it just meas the other one is hanging somewhere in your engine bay .... or someone cut the 2nd o2 sensor off ... if thats the case your gonna have to buy a new o2 sensor and wire it up ... and your most likely gonna have to extend the 2nd o2 wire anyway so you can put it below your car where the hi flow cat is gonna be

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes put the secondary O2 sensor in or behind the cat. I would just get a stock cat from a 99-00 SI or EX and use that. (It has an O2 bung into the cat). It will quiet the exhaust down also. As far as the purplish tint on the header, if it's a stainless steel header then it's normal. I had a stainless steel header on my hatch and it turned purple also.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I guess I'm gonna have to wire the second one up because I've searched the engine bay and can't find it, just a question, if I go with the stock cat that 99ekhatch mentioned, wouldn't that kind of cripple my exhaust a little since I already have headers? I know the stock will definitely quiet my exhaust down but will a hi flow cat with an o2 hole do the job similarly? Or will the difference be that one is carb legal and the other is not? Oh yeah, and my headers are stainless steel I guess the color is normal. Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, those are some nice set of glands!! I'm sorry you were saying...:) Yeah, the connector you see is the one connected to the side of my header, I'm still trying to find the secondary though. Also, could someone please respond to my previous question, I swear I'm clueless in this subject. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
936 Posts
don't bother hooking it up the secondary sensor if you're going high flow cat. more than likely that won't eliminate the problem. what you should do is get that simulator sensor....from a site i forgot.

bump for that 02 simulator site.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts