Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought my car and got it into the shop first thing for a motor swap. I ended up going with the d16z6 because it was in my price range and would yeild decent perfomance gains over the stock D15b8 70hp motor. However the shop called me last night with a problem.

They said the 2.5" exhaust my friend who I bought it from installed, was welded straight to the stock manifold from the d15b8 so I would either have to use the old manifold or buy a whole new setup (header,cat, and cat back exhaust) so the full setup would be out of my price range. My question is how much will using the d15b8 manifold hurt my performance compared to if the exhaust would have bolted up to the stock manifold of a d16z6?

Also I got to thinking couldn't I just buy a new header and cat, then have them hack the old exhaust off the manifold and weld it to the new cat? Thanks for all the help, I am new to cars/hondas specifically and am trying to learn what I can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the manifold hurt it enough that even with the 2.5" exhaust, it will be less than with a stock exhaust and stock z6 manifold?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Less powerful? It's likely, but with a stock D-series, you're barely putting 100hp to the wheels anyways.

I went from the B8 to a Y7 and ran the stock header with no issue. There was still a VERY noticeable power increase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cool ill pry just wait till I boost it then get a new 3" exhaust for less backpressure thanks for the help

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you're going turbo, the only thing that can be reused is the cat-back exhaust. Why waste the money on a header and cat at this point?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're going turbo, the only thing that can be reused is the cat-back exhaust. Why waste the money on a header and cat at this point?
thats exactly what i got to thinking lol
I guess at the time I was just thinking of performance in the mean time

·
Black Dynamite
1991 HONDA Civic
5,880 Posts
"Also I got to thinking couldn't I just buy a new header and cat, then have them hack the old exhaust off the manifold and weld it to the new cat? Thanks for all the help, I am new to cars/hondas specifically and am trying to learn what I can."

you answered your own question this is the best course of action

1 - 9 of 9 Posts