Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Civic ex coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got a d16y8 1.6l vtec
so far i have a short ram intake; dc 4-1 one piece headers and a magna flow muffler. (got the muffler to replace old muffler that fell off. LOL)
any ways, my question is i love my muffler and i just got the headers last week and i want to change the rest of the exhaust piping. i really dont want to get rid of the muffler by buying a whole new exhaust kit.

Can i just get new bigger pipes welded in to the muffler and run em to the cat?
thinking about 2 1/4'

& is there any use for keeping the cat when changing these pipes or should i just replace that with straight pipe?

Thanks in advance for the replys.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
my question is i love my muffler and i just got the headers last week and i want to change the rest of the exhaust piping.
how do you install the headers on a inline 4 cylinder?(unless you have two 2-1 headers)

also yes you can just change the pipe to what every size your header is or what size your muffler is
and about the cat it depends on if its leagle to do that where you live. where i live cars that are older then 1994 dont need cats in them

·
Registered
99 Civic ex coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
undid the old ones & slapped tha new ones on.? theyre 4-1 .
and are headers not suppoed to be on this engine or something? cuz they work fine..
and the headers were made for d16, soooo..

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
and are headers not suppoed to be on this engine or something? cuz they work fine..
Why are you pluralising it? its a header. you have one not two. the term headers comes from v motors that have 2 exhaust banks on them so you need 2 different headers one for each side. or you just have more then one. like if there was a pile of headers on the ground you could say look at all thoes headers, and if there was just one you would say look at that header

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
*sigh*

He's being a smart ass. Headers would mean you have multiple header.

My chevy has headers, one on the left, one on the right.

Our cars have one header. Lots of people here like to give others shit about what you call a header. Kinda like people with guns, is it a clip? magazine? Who fucking cares.

And to answer your question, yes, you can go to a muffler shop and they'll do it for you. You can run a pipe from your cat to your magnaflow. They can even put a glasspack "resonator" inline with it and it'll sound nice and deep. When i had my magnaflow with no resonator, it was pretty loud and raspy, but once i got a 24inch resonator, it quieted it down a lot and gave it a nice deep tone.

Find a good reputable muffler shop and they'll hook you up.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
*sigh*

He's being a smart ass. Headers would mean you have multiple header.

My chevy has headers, one on the left, one on the right.

Our cars have one header. Lots of people here like to give others shit about what you call a header. Kinda like people with guns, is it a clip? magazine? Who fucking cares.

And to answer your question, yes, you can go to a muffler shop and they'll do it for you. You can run a pipe from your cat to your magnaflow. They can even put a glasspack "resonator" inline with it and it'll sound nice and deep. When i had my magnaflow with no resonator, it was pretty loud and raspy, but once i got a 24inch resonator, it quieted it down a lot and gave it a nice deep tone.

Find a good reputable muffler shop and they'll hook you up.

i was just giving him shit for because he used a term with out knowing what it ment.

and after reading that^^ i knew it wasnt a typo

·
Registered
99 Civic ex coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nd evanguy, i dont think by saying headers people wouldnt know what i was talking about aha. this aint english class buddie.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
nd evanguy, i dont think by saying headers people wouldnt know what i was talking about aha. this aint english class buddie.
yeah its all good. i tried to answer your question too in the first post. i just personally hate when people say that so i always try to correct them. because if they are talking about them they should know if there is one or two

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic Cx
1,276 Posts
get a high flow cat 2 1/4 inch piping with a 18-24inch resonator and your muffler. Boom. good flow and nice sound.

·
Registered
99 Civic ex coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats respectable evanguy, thanks
& wat spefically is the function of a resonator?
is it like a filter for the exhaust gasses, or is it just there to provide enough back pressure to my valves?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Idk I was gonna ask that to chucky I have a 4-2-1 with 2 1/2 test pipe an 20" exhaust all free flow sounds nice but raspy dunno if its cuz of the stock resonator or what? An why would it only smoke revin it at high rpms an not while drivin or idling?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts