Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got this 1994 Honda Del Sol S with the D16Y8... my question is when i get a new exhaust should i just get a catback and leave stock cat or should i just go ahead and get a full exhaust from headers back and get a new cat?.... will a new cat make any difference?

·
Registered
91 civic Base
49 Posts
id say it would deppend on your goals from your cat back system. running a full header and after market cat can make a differince in power. also is this a short term swap until you can afford forced induct or is this gunna stay NA? coast wise cat back will probably cheaper.

·
Registered
same as above
861 Posts
i would use a test pipe on it since its a 94...eliminate all doubt that it is restricting power.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i have heard a few times that you dont want to eliminate the cat unless you have forced induction because you will lose backpressure and it can actually hurt your performance. not to mention noise violations

·
Registered
91 civic Base
49 Posts
i have heard a few times that you dont want to eliminate the cat unless you have forced induction because you will lose backpressure and it can actually hurt your performance. not to mention noise violations
there are bypasses for the o2 sensors also but if you go aftermarket with an oversized cat it can worth the same as the oem one while opening up for breathing. from what i have been told by a few guys running turbos, a cat is fine when over sized to fit larger diamiter exhuast.

·
Registered
550 Posts
but he is not running a turbo which is why i mentioned the statement above. personally i am curious as to the whether running no cat is better or worse for a n/a motor considering i plan going n/a and my car had an exhaust already with no cat

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i want to get at least 200hp all motor then maybe getting a turbo put on... so would a new cat make any differnece in power or just stay oem cat and just do the cat back? .... isnt test pipes just for racing vehicles only? my car will be a daily driver... if i could use the test pipe does that eliminate the cat? what would be a good diameter for the pipe i was told 2"

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
i want to get at least 200hp all motor then maybe getting a turbo put on... so would a new cat make any differnece in power or just stay oem cat and just do the cat back? .... isnt test pipes just for racing vehicles only? my car will be a daily driver... if i could use the test pipe does that eliminate the cat? what would be a good diameter for the pipe i was told 2"

meow?

So 200hp N/A is a lot...Good luck with that lol, 170 is a much better goal. With a turbo I would open the exhaust up more for efficientcy(with the test pipe), N/A either use stock cat or high flow. High flow is better...mainly because its high flow lol. Test pipe will not let you pass emisions. Yes the test pipe re places the cat. I would go 2.25 or 2.5. 2.5 being the biggest for N/A. 3" for turbo.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
So 200hp N/A is a lot...Good luck with that lol, 170 is a much better goal.
thats more then just "a lot" for a single cam engine.. even 170 whp is more then the average built NA d-series :lol:.

i want to get at least 200hp all motor
want in one hand, shit in the other. see which one gets heavy first.

as for the exhaust.. do you have emissions testing? if so, i would get a new cat and then the cat back exhaust. 2.25 to 2.5" in pipe size. if you dotn have testing in your area, just go with out the cat. it doesnt really effect power that much, but when your building NA d-series power every bit helps.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so 200 too much.... ok so i'll just try to reach at the most 150-170 all motor.. ha im new at this so my bad i figured i could reach that much since stock on the d16y8 is 127 but ok so new goal n/a is 150-170 range.... and yes i have emision testing here so no test pipe and do a 2.5" exhaust and get a high flow cat? ... whats a good high flow cat to use? and whats a good exhaust and muffler to use?

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
ok so 200 too much.... ok so i'll just try to reach at the most 150-170 all motor.. ha im new at this so my bad i figured i could reach that much since stock on the d16y8 is 127 but ok so new goal n/a is 150-170 range.... and yes i have emision testing here so no test pipe and do a 2.5" exhaust and get a high flow cat? ... whats a good high flow cat to use? and whats a good exhaust and muffler to use?
For exhaust, look at modacar.com or places like that. Then go to you tube and type in civic apexi exhaust and listen to the clips. For the cat, I dunno maybe magnaflow or something. Do your own searching please. And yeah 170 was a little high, but lower then 200 hahaha.

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
lol my bad people... 150 sound better? then just do a turbo later on down the road thanks for the help
No problem and I was correcting my self not you haha. 150 is much better. Turbo after you go n/a? Your going to need high comp pistons to have any kind of HP with an all motor set up. So boosting on the high comp wouldn't be the smartest idea lol.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so no n/a and do a turbo set up... but it'll be awhile before i can get a turbo so what to add on a turbo build before getting the turbo

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
ok so no n/a and do a turbo set up... but it'll be awhile before i can get a turbo so what to add on a turbo build before getting the turbo
There are a shit ton...Like TONS of posts. But the cheapest and most easy is usually dsm injectors, resistor box, chip/tune, vitara pistons, Fj rods, maybe head work (its up to you), and of course clutch and flywheel. Then buy a cheapy ebay kit with a cast iron manifold and when the turbo goes, just buy a nice turbo and boost moar! lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts