Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 97 Honda Civic EX, owners before me blew the block so its got a mini me swap now (Y7 Block Y8 Head), I'm wondering where the catalytic converter is located with this setup?

Also looking to buy this DC Sports Exhaust system:
SCS7020 DC Sports Exhaust Systems - Single Canister (Stainless Steel) for 96-00 Honda Civic at Andy's Auto Sport

Anyone know the specs on it or recommendations?

I also read that some headers remove the catalytic converter, what would I have to do in order to pass emissions with it removed?

Sorry for asking so much questions but I'm fairly new to this, any input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You'll be able to see the cat. I know some motors have one as part of the ex manifold, it'll look like a big can. Otherwise, most of them have it underneath just off the end of the down pipe coming from the manifold.

·
Registered
civic
379 Posts
Got a 97 Honda Civic EX, owners before me blew the block so its got a mini me swap now (Y7 Block Y8 Head), I'm wondering where the catalytic converter is located with this setup?

Also looking to buy this DC Sports Exhaust system:
SCS7020 DC Sports Exhaust Systems - Single Canister (Stainless Steel) for 96-00 Honda Civic at Andy's Auto Sport

Anyone know the specs on it or recommendations?

I also read that some headers remove the catalytic converter, what would I have to do in order to pass emissions with it removed?

Sorry for asking so much questions but I'm fairly new to this, any input would be appreciated, thanks.
u can find the answer ur questions at the search bar, for future reference, a thorough and exhausting search should be conducted blah blah :euro:

but seriously dude, u will get flamed for not doin some thorough research before postin

as for the mini me, i do know that the y7's have the cat on the header (note our hondas ONLY have ONE header) but someone can correct me if im wrong.

for a header, if u have the money sure a dc would suit u fine for lil better flow but for the price, id get like a megan (dc replica) or somethin with good reviews on ebay for a fraction of the price.

if you are in california, u need a cat, no if ands or buts. know way to pass emissions unless u got a hook up to pay a lil extra

edit: ex's (y8's) have the cat underneath the car towards the end of the header

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, I tried searching but didn't really come across anything, I'll search better next time thanks...I live in Hawaii and they're not too strict on emissions, will the DC header eliminate the cat? and if so what will I need to do then?

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you get a header that's made for the motor, it should bolt right up without any issues. DC is pricey, especially for the performance. $300-$350 for something that does as well as a $100 header off ebay... A bit much.

·
Registered
civic
379 Posts
the race header does in fact eliminate the cat. but the others do not if im not mistaken. if u have the coin and worry about emissions then a dc would be ok. with the race header, it would essentially become a straight pipe. also, be aware that without the cat, u will smell the fumes of the car alot more and can cause some issues in ur cabin with the gasses and such.

are u getting a catack as well?

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you get a header that's made for the motor, it should bolt right up without any issues. DC is pricey, especially for the performance. $300-$350 for something that does as well as a $100 header off ebay... A bit much.
If I do order I'll be ordering the one that fights my motor, I just read that the header deletes the cat, but thanks.

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the race header does in fact eliminate the cat. but the others do not if im not mistaken. if u have the coin and worry about emissions then a dc would be ok. with the race header, it would essentially become a straight pipe. also, be aware that without the cat, u will smell the fumes of the car alot more and can cause some issues in ur cabin with the gasses and such.

are u getting a catack as well?
HHC5513 DC Sports Headers - 4-2-1 One Piece (Ceramic) for 96-00 Honda Civic at Andy's Auto Sport

^this was the header I was looking into purchasing, I don't think its a race header, the website doesnt give much info thats why I was wondering if anyone knows the specs

edit: nevermind probably thinking about getting the two piece header instead of the one piece, any suggestions?

and yes I was looking into getting this catback exhaust system from DC as well

·
Registered
650 Posts
also, be aware that without the cat, u will smell the fumes of the car alot more and can cause some issues in ur cabin with the gasses and such.
My cat is just an empty can, and I don't get the fumes. You usually only get fumes when there's a crack on the seam, or a leaky joint.

As far as eliminating the cat, you can always bolt it up further back, and get new piping put on behind it. It's not something where if the header 'eliminates' it, you can't put one back on.

EDIT: 2 piece is way easier to install. 1 piece is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My cat is just an empty can, and I don't get the fumes. You usually only get fumes when there's a crack on the seam, or a leaky joint.

As far as eliminating the cat, you can always bolt it up further back, and get new piping put on behind it. It's not something where if the header 'eliminates' it, you can't put one back on.
yeah after doing some research im 99% sure these headers do not require removal of the catalytic converter, I was just wondering what would be my next options if it did remove it, but thanks

·
Registered
civic
379 Posts
stupid work computers wont leme see the the exhaust :( i shuda been more clear with the fumes thing, meant with a test/straight pipe.

+1 on the 2 piece as well

is the exhaust the canister one?

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yah its a single canister, and thats all I know, damn website doesnt give any other spec info

·
Registered
civic
379 Posts
yah its a single canister, and thats all I know, damn website doesnt give any other spec info
so, in my experience with a canister exhaust (skunk2 megapower 60mm and 2.25 piping with cat) +intake+header was loud AF to the point where it would give me headaches especially on the freeway. sounds badass when ur gettin on it, but for a dd its reaaaalllly loud. its gnna be like ricey loud if u decide to straight pipe it and remove the cat without putting another resonator

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so, in my experience with a canister exhaust (skunk2 megapower 60mm and 2.25 piping with cat) +intake+header was loud AF to the point where it would give me headaches especially on the freeway. sounds badass when ur gettin on it, but for a dd its reaaaalllly loud. its gnna be like ricey loud if u decide to straight pipe it and remove the cat without putting another resonator
haha, damn well right now my ek sounds like shit with this muffler the previous owners put on, and I was told there is a leak in the exhaust manifold so it needs to be replaced anyway

·
Registered
civic
379 Posts
fix that shit lol for ur header though for a fraction of the price get a megan/ebay header. i had mine for the last 4 months and no issues. bolted right up. i have a connection for my smog tests soooo...but if money is not an issue, fuck it lol i would stay away from a canister muffler though

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just checked out the megan header and they run $170 for the two piece, looks like im sold...and I just realized we aint even got smog checks in Hawaii lol

·
Registered
civic
379 Posts
yea thats what i gots and its essentially a dc replica. ooorrr...u can go even cheaper and get a straight ebay header from a seller with a good rep for like 80 bucks lol govt officials in cali are the nazi's of smog

·
Registered
'97 EK Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nah I dont plan to deal with any ebay parts for this build, and yah man down here in Hawaii we just got to deal with a safety check once a year, and all they check is minor thing such as lights, and make sure everythings meets regulations i guess....

·
Registered
civic
379 Posts
i went to ohau last summer and it was teh tits staying on weikiki beach..for ur catback may i recommend the vibrant streetpower, or tanabe medallion, or what i gots, the apexi noir; quiet during dd but sex at WOT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts