Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's the deal. i was running just straight 3" exhaust from the turbo back. it was too loud for my liking so i added a bullet style muffler. it worked, but not in the way that i want. it's still loud down low but when i lay into it and wind it out, it gets quiet up top. i want the exact opposite. i've been daily driving my car lately and i have a headache by the end of the night every night. i want something quiet down low till at least 4k rpm. after that, it can be as loud as it wants.

so what do you guys run/prefer/recommend? not looking to spend an arm and a leg, but i've really gotta do something. i'm tired of the headaches. for some reason the sound just reverberates off my car like crazy :TD:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sadly, that is the thought i had tonight. if i can't figure something out quick tomorrow before work, i'll be using ear plugs until i get something done.

i was going to include a pic of the "muffler" i added on in the first post but forgot...

i have this installed back in the normal muffler location. would moving it further towards the front help at all? or should i just find a better muffler all together?

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
i had a vibrant street performance muffler on my hx and it was not loud at all, i did only have 2.5in piping but i didnt have a cat/test pipe or a resonator. here is a video i made so see if you think its quiet enough

this is straight downpipe with it dumping right at the firewall

these are both with vibrant exhaust, no cat or resonator

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is always hard to tell the true sound from a video, but that def sounds pretty decent from what i can tell. which vibrant muffler do you have exactly? i know they have several styles

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i want something that is very quiet at idle and very mellow until at least 4k rpm. then i want it to open up n get loud. i just want the nice quiet drive-ability down low.

and either the link you posted isn't working, or my computer doesn't want to play nice. very good chance it's my computer

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
The more/larger the muffler, the more it will cancel noise.

Im NA and using 3" mandrel. I used 2 vibrant resonators, and Vibrant univ stainless muffler which cut rasp and kept a low tone. I resonator had bad welds and came apart, but it was still effective when it held together.
www.velocityshop.com/product/vibrant-streetpower-universal-oval-muffler-polish-3-inch-1103_544.html

Heres some exhaust theory for whoever stumbles on this. I disagree with a few things, but a decent read regardless.

Exhaust Theory | NSX Prime

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input so far guys. it's hard to bring myself to pay 100+ for just a muffler when i paid 125 for my full custom made 3" piping, but i guess it's time to bite the bullet

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Most aftermarket exhaust are like 700 for a good quality kit I paid 150 for my piping and 150 for my muffler I think so thats pretty decent for a great exhaust, besides the pain of welding it up myself at home

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Go with a dynomax super turbo. They are pretty quite and flow ok for less than $80. A chambered muffler is the best way to quiet things down....

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
^^
Chambered mufflers dont quiet things down. I already bought one and didnt even get the car off the lift before i hacked it off and tossed it in the trash. That experiment cost me 75 bucks.

After trial and error with 3", twin resonators and the vibrant muffler is what i finally went with

anyone looking for a kit: http://www.vrsexhaust.com/TUBING_KITS/HONDA_TK/honda_tk.html

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have an oval style muffler but not sure what brand it is. it's 2 3/4" in and out. center inlet, offset outlet. i had it on the car before with this piping but it's so quiet the whole way through the rpm's that you barely hear any exhaust sound at all. it also is very restrictive and kills power.

however, being desperate at this point to quit getting headaches until i can get another dd, i put it back on today. it definitely takes longer to spool the turbo now and i can feel the loss of power. so i'm still on the hunt for that "perfect" muffler so keep the recommendations coming

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
When it comes to exhausts, you can RARELY have your cake and eat it too. Noise is also highly suggestive, some people are fine with a straight NA exhaust, some people can't stand less than 2 resonators & a muffler on a turbo car.

Go with a dynomax super turbo. They are pretty quite and flow ok for less than $80. A chambered muffler is the best way to quiet things down....
They do, but they also need a resonator. A glass-packed resonator kills higher frequencies, a chambered muffler kill overall noise. Run one or the other and you will have a raspy exhaust or a loud exhaust. Two bullet-style resonators or a resonator & glass-filled straight muffler kill rasp but not noise. A cat converter will also kill noise similar to a resonator. I advocate a cat+resonator+muffler or two resonators+muffler.

To give you an idea how "much" a chambered muffler kills over a straight pipe, Tony Palo or Jeff Evans took a 320whp turbo ITR with a stock ITR exhaust and unbolted the axle-back. Mind you this is a Honda-made 2.25" ID ITR muffler, not aftermarket. It made 340whp with that axle-back removed. That's only 6% more power! It went from sounding like a stock LS to sounding worse than a ricer fart can. A 3" chambered muffler will be less restrictive than that ITR muffler for certain.

IMO race cars are loud & powerful, street cars are as powerful as you are willing to put up with.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have turbo set up w/ 3" all the way and just 2 cherry bomb glass packs( about 4ft in length)
Love the deep sound and doesn't drone, but still opens up higher in the rpms.

Think it was under $80-90 for both of them

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 3in mandrel straight pipe to the vibrant muffler on my 750 hp car and I loved it! Real quiet til the twin 45 mm gates opened. I went open dp for 2 years, then had to daily the car for about 6 months so I built an exhaust and that's the only muffler I use now. And I didn't have any resonators either. Just the vibrant muffler and my gt4094r. Lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it a straight through muffler? The vibrants are straight through perforated mufflers so they not very restrictive
i don't think it is straight through like a vibrant

.IMO race cars are loud & powerful, street cars are as powerful as you are willing to put up with.
i think you just summed it up. after driving it for the night, it still runs decent, but i def realized how much power it lost. but, not headaches tonight! so i guess i'll deal with it until i either can get a vibrant muffler, or get my next dd on the road

1 - 20 of 35 Posts