Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving today and started smelling exhaust really bad, thought maybe it got a leak. Went under the hood, revved the engine and could clearly see exhaust gases coming out of the valve cover vent.....What could possibly be causing that?

Haven't noticed any loss in power, but the idle is low as shit now.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
its called blow-by

it is a normal thing. how ever, if you are experiencing excessive blow by it may be caused by a deteriorating ring seal or a sudden loss of ring lands.

losing ring lands is a bad thing.

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is excessive since there's only 7,000 miles on the engine. I think running rich finally caught up with me.... washed the cylinder walls with fuel. I'll be pulling the engine tomorrow and dropping a stock one back in for now with a stock ecu. It wouldn't be so bad if I could find a tuner within 300 miles that didn't charge 500 bucks for an obd0 NA sohc non-vtec tune. Atleast I'll save some gas money with a stock D15B2.

·
Registered
86 MR2
1,401 Posts
what would you classify as excessive cuz im curious on this blow-by thing that my dad's been telling me about on my 4th gen

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what do to about the blowby besides a dyno tune and new rings, but can't afford to do anything like that right now. The oil is always really gassy after about 2000 miles, and that is when I change it.

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to throw a new pcv valve in tomorrow, if that doesn't work then I will be tearing down the engine and having a look inside.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
could it be the timing?

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It was a sudden thing. Drove it this morning with no problem at all, parked it then drove it again this evening and that's when the problem started. It's really running just fine except for the now low idle. No noticeable loss in power.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
its called blow-by

it is a normal thing. how ever, if you are experiencing excessive blow by it may be caused by a deteriorating ring seal or a sudden loss of ring lands.

losing ring lands is a bad thing.
your reply made me laugh.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
pull ur oil filler cap off and see how far away u can feel it blow. rev it some.also is it smoke coming out?

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
If it was sudden, it is not ring nor bore wear from washing down. It is most likely one or more of the following:-

1) Broken rings.
2) Broken/cracked/burned ring lands.
3) Cracked piston crown.
4) Breather tube becoming dislodged.
5) PCV becoming inoperative.

Check that all hoses are attached as they should be, like PCV into manifold and breather into inlet air duct.

If hoses are OK, do a leak down test like Dan suggests.

The source of humour at your expense was the extremely obvious comment that losing your ring lands is not a good thing.

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replaced the PCV valve, no luck. Definitely loads of blue smoke coming out of the oil hole and valve cover vent. Going to pull the engine now

·
Registered
1997 honda civic Ex
68 Posts
Kinda similiar to my problem, but not seeing any smoke yet!! i feel air coming from my exh mani!! hope u get that shit figured out

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good, no need for any tests. I'll know what caused it by tomorrow. Engine is out, on the stand, and ready to be torn into.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts