Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G/F took my card reader so i cant post pics till later tonight but heres the story.

For like a week i noticed my car would blow out white smoke when i took off or stayed idle for too long. After searching around on different forums i learned white smoke = head gasket.

I pulled the head yesterday and the head gasket just stayed stuck to the head and when i pulled it off it just dropped to the ground fully intact. It had no signs of failure. Its my first time pulling the head so i was just looking for rips in the gasket.

I turned the head to look at the valves and noticed that 2 of the exhaust valves on cylinder 2 were a bit open. as well as 2 on intake side of 3. The difference in the 2 were very different(like 1/4 of inch i think). Dont know if this is normal or not.

Hopefully pics will be up soon since i suxors at explaining things like this.

Thanks in advanced guys,

Mondo

*Motor is d16z6 in case you cant see sig*

·
Registered
4,585 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
BigTuna is right. You cannot tell if your HG leaked just by looking at it. And listening to you being alarmed seeing open valves on your head makes me think you're probably not much of an expert anyway.

Check the head/block for warpage and replace the head gasket.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
The difference in the 2 were very different(like 1/4 of inch i think). Dont know if this is normal or not.
The valves open and close at different times in the cycle...

Was it a fiber gasket? Get a new gasket (should be 3 layer steel now, as Honda changed it some years ago), put it in,
torque down in sequence and multiple steps, make certain the timing belt is on correctly, and see if the problem disappears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts