Honda D Series Forum banner

Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit Review

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  redneck sol 
#1 ·
I recently put in an Exedy Stage 1 clutch in my car and I'd like to share the short but sweet experience I've had with it.

A little background on my car: a track-able street car lol. It's a car that you can drive daily, and still take to the track on a weekend and giggle your pants off at how fun it is. Notice I said "fun" not fast. My goal is to make this car fun and I think I've achieved that so far. I was at Buttonwillow Raceway for the Test and Tune day, shifted from second to third, and then I felt it… the rpms spiked up and then came down. After driving in so much traffic while going to Cal State Fullerton, punishing it on canyons, and a couple track days, my clutch was slipping, and it was time for an upgrade.

I went from an Exedy OEM spec clutch to the Stage 1, so I was used to a stock-like soft clutch feel. I finished cleaning up the garage after the install and took a feel at the clutch and HOLY DAMN it's a lot stiffer than I'm used to. I backed it out 10ft. and immediately adjusted the clutch pedal lol. Took me a while to get the pedal and grab point right, but I think I've got it dialed for my tastes.

How does it feel?
IT GRABS HARD! I always hated how the OEM-spec clutch was like sorta grabbing for what felt like a mile… then CLAMP right at the top of the pedal travel. The pressure plate never felt comfortable to me either. This new pressure plate feel a LOT stiffer than OEM, but I'm getting more used to it as I drive on it. The clutch grab is almost instant and it's what I've always wanted! Don't know why I didn't just get a Stage 1 in the first place. So here's a tip for all of you guys and gals relatively new to car tuning: If you're going to upgrade the engine a bit or track your car (even with stock power), get a Stage 1 clutch! Obviously, I'm still breaking it in, so I haven't gunned it yet, but it does give me the confidence that when I do, that thing will NOT let go.

BTW, pro tip right here: DON'T USE THE EXEDY THROWOUT BEARING. The one that came with the OEM-spec clutch kit broke on me in like a few months. Just got to Honda and shell out the money for an OEM one. What I did was just re-use the OEM one I bought after the Exedy one broke, since it wasn't that old. It still works great too!

See less See more
#2 ·
Given the amount of work it is to replace in the event something does go wrong, I would have changed the bearing on principle.

Glad you like the clutch, I plan to upgrade my tranny at some point and will also be changing the clutch, trying to decide if I want to use my hook up for Centerforce, pony up the big buck for an ACT, or use Exedy...still got time to figure it out but I appreciate the info

#3 ·
I love the PP on the stage 1's. Unfortunately me and my buddy thought we could man handle the tranny and ended up screwing up the stage 1 disc splines in a rush. So I bought an ACT 6 puck and it makes my B20 comp clutch vehicle so jelly.

I don't prefer the soft pressure plate of the comp clutchs (easier to slip it more than you should).

At the end of the day, nobody likes a soft PP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.