Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

New to this forum. I actually just purchased a 1991 Honda Civic DX as I need to start saving for university. Engine size is 1.5 liter D15, When I purchased the vehicle it was in desperate need of some maintenence. Anyway parts are cheap so I quickly asked one of the technicians from work to replace the Head gasket, Head bolts, Timing belt, water pump, crank seal, valve cover gasket,spark plug seals, distributor cap o-ring, Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, Spark plugs, engine oil/coolant all the basics. Here is the problem.. Now we adjusted the valve train tollerance to factory specs as it was ticking quite a bit more than I liked before the maintenence, However even after all this it still ticks pretty bad, I noticed during the head re condition the valve seals are all good except one but it only burns off a bit of oil on hard acceleration when the engine is below operating temperature, Other than that everything looks pretty good. Any ideas as to why it would still be ticking away so bad and any suggestions short of swapping the head as I just did all this work and dont wanna toss the head away for atleast a year or two now. Any suggestions would help thanks!

Regards
Josh

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Did the engine have any mods when you bought it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mods at all, Cold air intake. But thats not even really a mod considering the vehicle does not use a mass air flow sensor. So no.. No mods, The T-belt we pulled off was off by 4 teeth, for god knows how long. I dunno if that could have affected it.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Hmm, I guess that rules out the possibility there's an aftermarket cam then. What process did you use when checking the valve lash?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt do it but the technician had a little set of metal tools, he would just put them in between the rocker and lifter im guessing then adjust till it touched the tool, No idea to be honest. Do those things tend to make alot of noise?? It has 205,000 kilometers on it.

·
Registered
1994 EH9
616 Posts
its probably valve lash. When he adjusted your valves,he probably most deff left one or a few a little loose thats what the noise is cause when i did my mini me swap i had the same noise

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I didnt do it but the technician had a little set of metal tools, he would just put them in between the rocker and lifter im guessing then adjust till it touched the tool, No idea to be honest. Do those things tend to make alot of noise?? It has 205,000 kilometers on it.
u mean one like this???

its called a feeler gauge, and the way u describe it its the proper way to adjust valve lash, however human error is always a factor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly Like that, I will have to run threw and double check that nothing was left loose, I wont be back to the dealership till tuesday and I have school tommorow would you suggest driving it or will it fuck anything up?

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
Just get it taken care of as soon as you can. It should be fine to drive. If it stays bad you could rock 10-30 oil and see if that helps with the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The valve cover gasket I put in 3 days ago, Will I have to replace that when i pull the valve cover off again to adjust the valve lash?? Like i said its only 3 days old..

·
Registered
68 Posts
You don't have to take off the intake manifold gasket to check the valves. But if its the valve cover gasket you mean, it should be fine. And if your not sure which gasket it is, you might just want to bring it back to the tech to double check.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
valve cover gasket my mistake. So it should be fine, That is good news, cause i was hoping i wouldnt have to replace that thing after 3 days again!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had to take my new one off twice and its been fine. You might want to put some black silicone in the corners at the cam cover ends.

·
Registered
90 Civic Ex
121 Posts
How hard is it to adjust the valve lash? My valvetrain is getting noisy and its something I have never done before.

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,177 Posts
How hard is it to adjust the valve lash? My valvetrain is getting noisy and its something I have never done before.

piece of cake. all you need is a flat head screwdriver. a number 10 wrench and a feeler gauge. and do it when the engine is COLD.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts