1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the info:

2005 Civic EX (with ABS) and rear drums

My brake pedal feels like it travels too far before engaging the brakes. This problem has been like this since I bought it 5 months ago. I recently adjusted my rear brakes properly and it helped a little but the pedal still feels like it is travelling too far. I do get a weird click sometimes when I press on the pedal, I can feel it but nothing bad or not normal happens. My pads are in good condition and don't appear to be wearing unevenly.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Changing the fluid can improve the feel of the brakes, old fluid collects moisture which can cause "sponginess", stainless lines have been reported to make the pedal feel more firm too.

I know when the master cylinder starts to let go, long travel and spongy, to the point the pedal will actually go to the floor is pretty standard

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But it isn't the pedal being "spongy" as I can tell the difference when my brakes weren't adjusted, but I feel the pedal travels too far before getting into contact with the brakes if that makes sense.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I know this is a REALLY dumb question, but your brake fluid is full, right?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
As said ^

old fluid can cause this or a leaking master cylinder, even air in the lines will do this.

The best thing to do is flush the system and check for leaks at the master cylinder. Also check the flex hoses at the front calipers, sometimes the go bad and expand.
If the problem is still there after all that, then it could be the vacuum booster leaking.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
But it isn't the pedal being "spongy" as I can tell the difference when my brakes weren't adjusted, but I feel the pedal travels too far before getting into contact with the brakes if that makes sense.
ah you guys ninja replyed.

but have you try to adjust the pedal?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts