Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently my vitara build has been spitting a lot of oil out of the valve cover vent. For about a year it was perfectly fine maybe like a drop. Now it spits oil all the way to the firewall and quite a bit. I plan to get a catch can and considering welding -10am fittings to it. But im thinking about the possibilities which could have caused this.

Some factors are going from below 9 psi to 16. Some head studs came loose and had to be retorqued. I am planning to replace the head gasket soon because of it but so far no overheating.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
How's the compression like? Leakdown test? I hope it's not your rings that's for sure

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
when I had excessive blow by I had busted ringlands. main symptom was horibble partial throttle driving with O2 sensor hooked up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
did you get tuned to 16psi?

build a det can, listen. what do you hear? when i heard mine before i had issues, she was pinging like a crazy person.

i also had the same symptoms, and had busted ringlands in 3 cylinders. what are your compression numbers telling you? I would stop driving the car as soon as you can. i was able to replace my pistons with the motor in the car relatively easy because the cylinders were not damaged.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just street tuned. Car drives great all around. When i broke it in i idled it for a few mins to make sure everything was good. Turned it off. Changed the oil. Drove it like crazy for a good 100 miles. From redline then slowly decelerating not taking it out of gear. It doesnt smoke at all just blows a bit of oil out of the valve cover vent. Last time i topped it off was about a week ago ~100+ miles and its kept its level. I think it only spits at high boost.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Did you replace valve seals when you built it? Bad intake stem seals contributes to crankcase pressure on a boosted engine.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you replace valve seals when you built it? Bad intake stem seals contributes to crankcase pressure on a boosted engine.

I was thinking the same thing but the seals are a few years old. Either way just did a compression test and 120-150-90-150 :( im thinking ill find some carnage once i rip it open

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
same here. not to mention I would have to get a set of std. length forged rods at the same time. if something went horribly wrong I might just have to part everything out. living in cali with a turbo setup and having an 8mo old daughter I cant justify sinking a bunch more money into this hobby any more

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
same here. not to mention I would have to get a set of std. length forged rods at the same time. if something went horribly wrong I might just have to part everything out. living in cali with a turbo setup and having an 8mo old daughter I cant justify sinking a bunch more money into this hobby any more
I feel you. This got me thinking twice of even bother tuning my car at high boost with this vitaras, but i guess there's no turning back now. Next build will be forged for sure

·
Registered
906 Posts
do what i did. replace the pistons, rings, and bearings yourself. for under $200 you can be back up and running.

you dont even need to pull the motor. i did it over a weekend. end to end.

dont give up!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well idk for sure the ringlands cracked on my build. Lets explore what it could or could not be and why.

Wishful thinking it could be a bent valve not sealing all the way causing low compression :) in 2 cylinders probably not though.
compression test + spoon full of oil through spark plug hole. this will tell you if its piston related. you should see higher PSI with oil = ringlands are shot

also check your valve lash, too tight will cause low compression too. my only worry is the blow by...

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
you can have custom forged pistons made with a lower CH like the vitara has to still use your custom length rods. you'll get a better R/S ratio out of it to boot.
Check into high compression d17 pistons, since the d17 has a 27mm CH, close to the 28.3mm CH of the vitara.

looks like the only off the shelf d17 piston is a wiseco which would net you 8.1:1 compression

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah youre talking $500+ for pistons. How can cylinder walls be ok after blown out ring lands? Also these vitaras are 76mm...

Youre right mitsuman it would be pretty cheap to replace the pistons as long as the cylinder walls are ok. I built the whole damn engine so i know the work involved. But its also other variables like my worn out clutch, crappy pte injectors, etc... Just seems like a money pit. Especially after the fact that i have $10 in my account currently and living paycheck to paycheck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts