Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would make a more dramatic improvement? I know that the vtec head would add about 15hp and thats good but the tranny has shorter gears and i would be able to accelerate faster. So which one shoulds be a better upgrade first? eg tranny or ek tranny?

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
i would do the tranny swap first. i put a z6head on my a6block, it was more fun at first but then it becomes the norm and feels nothing special. ripping through shorter gears its always ALWAYS fun, also you can change the clutch out at the same time just incase you wanna add more power later:twisted:

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Both !!

a this point why not buy a whole d16z6 or d16y8 mecanics ? I will be easier to swap in one shot, you will save money by this way, and you can sell your old engine/tranny after.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats pretty but doesnt have higher compression with a mini me? And plus i cant find a d16y8 complete since my car is an ek.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
niet !

dishes are lower in y7 for mini-me, y8 has higher compression ratio.

d16y7 9.5:1, pistons with dishes, circular combustion chamber. (34.6cc)
d16z6 9.3:1, pistons with big dishes, circular combustion chamber. (36cc)
d16y8 9.7:1, pistons have small dishes, square combustion chamber.(32cc)

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not too far, make some research about these engine, you'll find exact infiormation.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Adding the head is worth a second in the 1/4 and so is the tranny so it's up to you. If you drive a lot at 80mph you'd prolly want to do the head more. Or you can just take the money and turbo what you've got for the price of your head/tranny.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i hoping to ge the shorter gears then the head then the turbo because running with a t3/t4 turbo, its not going to spool as fast as the t25. And its for a daily driver. so i guess ill do tranny frist then head.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i've done both onto my y7 engine in the last year.

as someone mentioned, you'll get used to the y8 head vtec sooner or later and it won't be as exciting.
as for the tranny (since it's still kinda new for me, installed for a week or two). i found that i'm more happy w/ the y8 tranny since the y7 tranny just sux (especially if you own a hatchback, the final drive is different from a hatch to a coupe, hatch is like 3.9 and coupe is like 4.0 or 4.1?) anyways, doing the y8 tranny is more fun and along w/ the combo of the y7/y8 mini me engine it's even better (basically i've a "normal" d16y8 engine right now, lol, comparing to the d16y7 it has some difference but not a HUGE difference.)

this is what i found on my engine
after installing the y8 head, my low end rev faster and vtec kick in at around 5400 rpm (stock p28 ecu) 'til about 7400 rpm fuel cut. the pull is noticeable on 1st and 2nd gear comparing to the old d16y7 engine.

as for the tranny, i can feel the car is much faster right now w/ the close ratio gear box from the d16y8 (it's closer from the old d16y7 gear box i swear :D). right now my car pull faster and accelrate faster (especially in 3rd gear) w/ the vtec still kick in at 5400 rpm range.

everything in my car right now is STOCK and un-tune p28 ECU (so running the z6 map). i may experience a little difference if i chip the p28 and tune the map to fit a y8 a little better (but my guess is not much, so i'll wait 'til at least i install an intake and header).

anyways, i think you'll be happier w/ the close ratio gear box compared to the y8 head swap even though it also increase hp on ur good old d16y7 engine

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah ill go for the tranny. then get the head and turbo and compare it to this b16 i got for 300. i think thats a good deal. ill see how the two motors compare and which one is funner to drive. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i dont want to steal this thread but i was just wondering if a y8 tranny will bolt right up to a d16y7 >?

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic CX
159 Posts
go for the tranny first b/c even if you got vtec you still have the longer gear ratios and when you try it out it will stink cause you will lose.. i should know b/c i use to have a d16z6 w/ dx tranny and man it sucks to have it... now that i have the ex tranny it was all worth to have the tranny..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts