Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have a 94 del sol si. i had a completely stock trans and clutch. this past weekend i swapped tranny's to a 95 civic ex trans and put in a stage 1 clutch and 8.5lb flywheel. i checked the trans casing and it checks out as an ex trans but i swear 5th gear is really short. i know the ex and si 5th gears are supposed to be the same. but im at 3000 rpm at 70-75mph. am i crazy and is this normal and maybe im thrown off by the flywheel? ive never had a light flywheel before, does 5th gear feel that different with this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
save a civic said:
ok, i have a 94 del sol si. i had a completely stock trans and clutch. this past weekend i swapped tranny's to a 95 civic ex trans and put in a stage 1 clutch and 8.5lb flywheel. i checked the trans casing and it checks out as an ex trans but i swear 5th gear is really short. i know the ex and si 5th gears are supposed to be the same. but im at 3000 rpm at 70-75mph. am i crazy and is this normal and maybe im thrown off by the flywheel? ive never had a light flywheel before, does 5th gear feel that different with this?
You probably have an Si tranny with the .750 fifth gear. The EX trannies have a .702 fifth.

·
Registered
229 Posts
or you didn't have a del sol tranny to begin with. the difference in readings from one tach to the next can be a couple hundred rpm, but i'm a touch over 3k rpm with my .750 gearbox at 70mph. my .702 box in my Si has me turning just under 3k rpm at 70mph. was the old box DEFINITELY an S20/P20-Bxxxx? i only ask because my brothers EK EX has an LX box in it. only 100k on the odo too. someone changed it out for some reason. when he puts the spare EX trans i have into it, he's going to be turning higher rpm's on the highway for sure.

if your old box was the .750 5th box and you want the new box to be the same, switching out 5th gear is a simple project.

nate

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i gave it away free to "the EH," a fellow d member. i'll pm him and ask him to read me the #'s... thanks.

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mother of God (okay he doesnt have a mother) but crap my 5th gear sux ass. seriously. i guess it stops me from speeding, but now i want to swap again. hey bone, what in your opinion is the best d series hydro trans? and where can i find one?

·
Registered
73 Posts
What you have for your gen.

What bothers you about the .75? RPM? Or gas mileage? I can get 45 mpg with that trans in a 92 VX Hatch and a Z6 swap. As stated above, it's not THAT big of a difference btw the .702 and .75.

If you don't like the rpm there's always the CX/VX trans. ;)

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rpm sux. gets loud when in hight rpm... well, i better check both trans id's then cuz this one is shiz compared to the other one. maybe the flywheel throws it off???

·
Registered
73 Posts
save a civic said:
rpm sux. gets loud when in hight rpm... well, i better check both trans id's then cuz this one is shiz compared to the other one. maybe the flywheel throws it off???
What kind of loud are you talking about - the exhaust? If so, THAT'S your problem, not the trans. Get a quieter muffler.

Flywheel throws what off? If you are thinking the gear ratios, you'd be dead wrong.

I knew Bone would advocate and even shorter 5th. :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,429 Posts
well, it doesn't help gas mileage, but I'm was still at 40 mpg at 4000 rpm @ 80 mph, guess I can't complain much. Once I get ecu retuned it will improve.

To the person complaining about the noise level, I'll bet you removed or gutted your cat.......

Reason I run a cat, keeps the car quiet.

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
transzex said:
To the person complaining about the noise level, I'll bet you removed or gutted your cat.......

Reason I run a cat, keeps the car quiet.
haha, nailed it. im putting the stock back on for now...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,429 Posts
Why not get a 2.25" Magnaflow resonator and bolt it up in place of the cat?

Front flange is easy, rear you'll have to get a little creative.

2.25" Magnaflow SS with 4" OD, about $40
Front flange adapter $4
Rear clamp $10

I'd post pics, but the free server is SLOW tonight, time to move pics.

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the only reason i didnt do that is because i have the stock cat heat shield over the decat. making it look just like a cat...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts