Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 98 ex coupe. The car sat for a year and wasn't running. I diagnosed a bad ICM. I replaced it and it started right up. It idles nice but runs like crap when driving. Every cylinder misfires. Has codes for every cylinder, multiple cylinder misfire, and ignition control code. Could hooking up the ICM incorrectly cause this? The timing is correct I checked that. I pulled out 5 gallons of the old gas and filled it up with 8 gallons of fresh 93.
What else can I check?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, valve lash

check all and replace/adjust as necessary

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I replaced the fuel filter, coil, plugs, cap, rotor, and drained all the gas. Filled her up with 93. Tried taking the first o2 sensor out in case the cat was clogged. Still runs like crap. Cylinders 1-4 misfire and has random misfire code. Tps and map sensor appear to be working when I look at the scanner data and rev the engine. It idles smooth and doesn't smoke. The old plugs looked normal, no signs of headgasket leak. I'm at a loss here guys.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts
timing correct? move the plugs, wires, injectors around and see if problem follows

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
are the wires OEMor at least newish? distributor hondas are VERY sensitive to plugwires I've found

check the valve lash, I bet it's never been done

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
check grounds

PROPERLY check timing. engine needs to be FULLY WARM and service connector jumpered properly and in correct order of operations.

a misfire for all cylinders should cause a flashing CEL

I think you should yank the igniton coil and igniton control module out and check both. there is a how-to online to show you how to check those two components

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes the check engine light flashes when driving.

Well the ICM is new. I diagnosed that was the reason the car wouldnt start when I bought it. Replaced that and it fired right up.

I tested the coil primary and secondary winding resistance. Both were within specs. I swapped out the coil anyways but no effect. I checked the distributor timing and it was off slightly. I adjusted it to the red mark on the crank pulley, no effect.

I just pulled the fuel pump to see if anything was obstructing the fuel pickup. It all looks good. It almost seems like its not getting enough fuel or has intermittent spark issues. It seems to run ok for a second then bog down, back and forth. It idles great and starts right up. I think if the mechanical timing was off enough to cause misfires, it would be hard to start but Ill check that later today.

I have a new distributor coming since it was so cheap on Amazon I figured why not. Couldnt hurt to have a spare.

The plug wires are NGK blue, and they look fairly new. I cant imagine every wire being bad. I have a buddy with a 2000 civic. Ill ask him to let me test his plug wires and rule that out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are the wires OEMor at least newish? distributor hondas are VERY sensitive to plugwires I've found

check the valve lash, I bet it's never been done
The valve train sounds great. Doesnt make any ticking noises. I read too tight of valve lash can cause misfires, but in my experience the valves get loosened over time, not tighter.

The guy I bought it from said it was running fine until it just died one day on the highway. The ICM was bad when I bought the car. Once I replaced that it fired up. Ran rough when I test drove it but I figured that was the year old gas.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I have never noticed any sort of sensitivity to plug wires, other than those cheap shitty ebay offered plug wires that have zero shielding.

for physical function, simply measure resistance of the plug wires. I believe honda allows up to 1500 ohms per foot of wire length.

Generally, NGK blue wires are a one time buy. they are great quality and unless physically damaged, they have lasted through more than even the stock Prestolite branded wires

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New distributor came yesterday. I threw that on but no change. I verified mechanical timing with cylinder 1 at tdc. Aligned crank and cam gear markings. Mechanical timing is spot on and the timing belt looked really good actually. So did the valve train.

Im headed to the store now to get a compression tester and fuel pressure tester.

·
Registered
F2k Sixth gen
22 Posts
The valve train sounds great. Doesnt make any ticking noises. I read too tight of valve lash can cause misfires, but in my experience the valves get loosened over time, not tighter.

The guy I bought it from said it was running fine until it just died one day on the highway. The ICM was bad when I bought the car. Once I replaced that it fired up. Ran rough when I test drove it but I figured that was the year old gas.
You would be surprised. The first gen CRV B20z's have issues with valves tightening. So they recommend adjustments every 30k.

Examples.

Another B20 valve problem

Sorry... More valve tightening issue questions...

The second link goes all over the place but you get the idea.

Hopefully its not the valves, but it wouldnt hurt to look over.

Good luck.

·
Registered
same
1,882 Posts
See of you can get a bore scope and check the cylinder ders as well for clogging

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys, i feel like an idiot. Turns out it was the plugs. The guy at advance gave me the wrong plugs and they were colder plugs and the gap was too big. I put the correct plugs in with .40 gap and it runs great now.

On the plus side, the motor has 190-200 psi compression across the board.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
I have never noticed any sort of sensitivity to plug wires, other than those cheap shitty ebay offered plug wires that have zero shielding.

for physical function, simply measure resistance of the plug wires. I believe honda allows up to 1500 ohms per foot of wire length.

Generally, NGK blue wires are a one time buy. they are great quality and unless physically damaged, they have lasted through more than even the stock Prestolite branded wires
I bought a set of NGK wires brand new from rockauto and they failed to start the d15b7 in the eg sedan I got rid of.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Nice, was gunna add my .02 but I see you found em. Was gunna ask about plugs. Read through this any way. Too bad it took parts swapping to find them, I changed a coil, igniter, before someone asked about plugs and I found the issues in cylinder one. Its a lesson I have learned the hard way a few times now, K.I.S.S.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts