Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased the everlast powertig 185 from the everlast website for 820+tax and it all came to about 949 shipped to my doorstep with a footpedal. The picture shown below is the exact same as my kit minus the red plasma cutting torch.

This is how it came in the box, everything i needed to plug in the welder and begin destroying electrodes was included Except for a few things.

Electrodes were not included
Plug was not included, only bare end of the welder for you to buy and adapt to your existing receptacle (not a big deal).

It came with a small accessory kit, three collets and three size gas cups.

The welder came in a box that was pretty bashed up, and even though i bought it from a company within the same state as me, i still ended up with a few problems. First off, everything came just as they said, nothing was missing.

as i began to take the pieces apart and put the welder together i noticed that two small screwed fell out of the vent holes in the front cover, and the fascia on the back that both, holds the case together and is an attachment point for the carrying strap was broken in two places.

I could understand the rear case being broken, the box looked like it had been through WWII. However, when i took the side of the case off to make sure it wasnt damaged i found 4 small insulating spacers and 3 screws were left uninstalled and the board dangling.

So i reinstalled the spacers and screws, put the cover back on and tightened the rear case best i could. Everything else was in good condition, i did like the 3/8 camlock connectors on the front of the machine and even the torch was very easy to use and felt sturdy in my hand, if not a little large. The torch whip came covered in a moderately thick vinyl sheath that felt thick enough to protect it from moderate use.

The ground clamp is sufficient with a copper pad on the top and bottom, with a copper webbing between the top and bottom pads to make sure you get a good connection. The cable was sufficiently thick enough to allow full amperage use of the welder and the ends were well crimped.

However when i installed my new regulator that came in the kit on my gas bottle, as soon as i turned the valve i heard a sudden hiss and rush of gasses exiting the side of the regulator. The regulator had a rather large crack in the side of it, going from the gauge port to the pressure input port. The regulator didnt seem to be of terrible quality and was easy to use/read so i was disappointed to see it was damaged.

I knew i was going to need to call them about the welder, so i sat down and ran a couple beads with the regulator leaking like hell, both DC and AC worked flawlessly, and when maxed out i was burning holes in 1/4 steel plate. I have heard rumors that the pedal doesnt correspond to the maximum amperage setting on the front panel, but i didnt seem to have any issues with it.

In conclusion, i found the welder to be a bargain even with the issues. Im going to contact everlast tommarow and ill post up what say about the issues.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called up customer support, told the guy exactly what happened and what was broken. He first told me that i would have to contact the shipping company and consult them for a replacement. I told him "No, the box outside is not damaged and the inner foam isnt broken, this was damaged from the shipping location before being packaged and shipped.".

He then asked all that was damaged, asked for my name, phone number, address and said he would have it out by the end of the day on the way to my house.

Thumbs up for customer support, i got in contact quickly and he rectified the situation without any qualms. Ill post up some welding shots when the new regulator gets here.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
They changed regulators so they fit US bottles? Lucky! Mine didn't come with a regulator I could use, but I was prepared for that from reading about the welder on their forums.

The foot pedals SUCK. They sorta work. Next thing on my list is to get a good foot pedal, which they sell for what I consider a reasonable price.

I HATE their packaged torches. Worst torch I've ever used, but it works. You'll want to get yourself a better torch ASAP. I did, and it make things so much easier. I would never want anyone to attempt learning to TIG with that big and bulky of a torch.

These welders certainly do lay down some REALLY good beads, though. Totally worth the money, IMO.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They changed regulators so they fit US bottles? Lucky! Mine didn't come with a regulator I could use, but I was prepared for that from reading about the welder on their forums.

The foot pedals SUCK. They sorta work. Next thing on my list is to get a good foot pedal, which they sell for what I consider a reasonable price.

I HATE their packaged torches. Worst torch I've ever used, but it works. You'll want to get yourself a better torch ASAP. I did, and it make things so much easier. I would never want anyone to attempt learning to TIG with that big and bulky of a torch.

These welders certainly do lay down some REALLY good beads, though. Totally worth the money, IMO.
what torch would you suggest? the footpedal that came with the welder ( i specifically asked for it when ordering) works pretty well, whats so bad about it?

The new regulator came in and works without issue, they even sent a whole new front and rear cover set to replace my old broken ones.

I cant seem to be able to lay down a good bead on steel with this thing for some reason. Ill post up some welding videos, maybie its something im doing.

3/32 thoriated tungsten
3/32 er70-s6 filler
straight argon set to 7 liters/m

Tapered tip on the tungsten and i just cant seem to get a good puddle without it blowing through the other side of the work. Maybie i should step it down to a 1/8 electrode/ filler because most of my work is under 1/4 steel and 5/16 alum.

After looking at a few torches, do you think that the wp9 would be able to handle the everlast at full tilt? it says its only rated to 125 amps, but i know the everlast can put out atleast 185.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
CK Worldwide Flexloc. Best torch ever. 135 or 150 amps at 100% duty cycle. Best tungsten retention system with their wedge lock collets. Best comprehensive gas lense system I've used with their gas-saver line. Pair this with a 25' super-flexy torch lead, and you will be in welding heaven.

I can weld 1/4" steel with 3/32" tungsten, though I generally run lanthanated. Red is good for steel, not good for aluminum.

Post up pics of your welds so maybe we can try to figure out WTF is going on with your welds.

I do like the customer service of Everlast.

The pedal is clunky. If you haven't used a "good" pedal, you won't know what I'm talking about. The stock one works, but it really isn't as linear or as smooth or as consitent as I am used to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts